"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Sunday Salon...Birthday Edition

Grandson Jamie. We hadn't seen him for about three weeks and we couldn't believe how much he changed in that amount of time.

Weather:
Overcast, threatening rain, rather gloomy.


Birthday: I turned 64 on Friday. My husband woke me by singing the Paul McCartney song, "When I'm 64". Have a listen from the Beatles remastered Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band record. Fun, huh? When I was a preteen listening to this song for the first time age 64 seemed like so-o-o-o-o old. Now here I am. All day there were little happy birthday moments. My hubby purchased a lovely cake from a local bakery, my daughter made risotto for the first time while Don barbecued steaks. No one complained when I requested the game I wanted to play--- Quiddler. My eldest daughter wasn't able to make it over with her family but they did visit the next day. Both of my sisters called. My mom and brother remembered me in other ways. So now I am officially old. 
"The King's Favorite": Banana cake with peanut butter and chocolate frosting. (The king is Elvis Presley, in case you are wondering.)
 

Family: We had a fun visit with our oldest daughter and her sons yesterday. Jamie is five months old and so curious. Here he is interacting with a little stuffed elephant who plays peek-a-boo with his ears. He is holding his teething giraffe in his hands. The boy always wants to have something in his mouth. His brother Ian is three. Ian was playing a dice game with Auntie but wanted to keep score. When she told him her score he would scribble something down on the pad. One time he looked up from his scribbling and announced that he just drew a boat.

Lent: With Ash Wednesday Lent began. It is 40+ days of reflection before Easter. This year we attended the Ash Wednesday service on Zoom and pretended to put ashes on each other's foreheads. Now we are participating in Again and Again practices daily to see if we can get some spiritual practices to stick. Today's practice: Read one chapter in your Bible today. Good plan!

George, aka The Puzzle Cat, is enjoying another puzzle moment on our latest completion this week.

Books:

Prayers for Texas: The news out of Texas this week were so dire. My prayers today and all week were lifted up for those who were suffering in the cold without heat or water. In America? Tragic. And I can't help but jump on Ted Cruz, the Texas Senator who left the state to vacation in Mexico while his whole state was in a deep freeze. Tone deaf, for sure. He is not a leader. Everyone remember this in the future.

Just a few funny items that came my way this week:

1. Um, let's see. What is the name of this yellow fruit?


2.This one took me a moment:


3.I'm pretty sure we've all met a teenager like this one...This one makes me giggle, afterall, I was a high school teacher for thirty+ years. I've seen this stance many times.



4.



5. And the one that made me laugh the hardest this week:

 Have a good week!

-Anne

11 comments:

  1. Love the heated seats cartoon! What is there not to like about Whitehead's writing style? I loved that book! Jamie is growing up very fast--such a handsome young man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. No one was very articulate about it. One gal didn't read it because The Underground Railroad gave her nightmares. I think the way the story reveals itself slowly and one isn't sure for a long time about the survivor and the way the story travels back and forth in time.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you need to join a book club with more intelligent and sophisticated members. That was a great book!

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it had more to do with the Zoom format. It is so hard to discuss things without talking over someone. Admittedly, though, the book is a bit confusing moving back and forth in time.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! I love that Beatles song.

    The baby is adorable. Enjoy him, and your week. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Anne! It sounds like you had a great day.

    Someone said last week that it feels like we've been celebrating Lent since the pandemic began.

    We postponed our book club meeting this week as many of us didn't have Internet or power. We read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I'm curious to see what others thought of it.

    Cruz is a persona non grata right now in Texas. Let's hope voters remember when he next runs for election.

    Love the heated seats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! 🥳
    Jamie is adorable :)
    Love the tweet from the Rev. - the perfect burn.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!! That cake looks amazing... will see if I can find a recipe. Sorry to hear about your book club discussion. I absolutely loved The Nickel Boys. It's the first Whitehead novel for me, but I'm willing to try another. My NY book club has stopped meeting (hope to catch up with them this summer if all goes well) and my FL book club has pretty much disbanded. That was was through the library. Some neighbors and I have discussed starting one ourselves, hope it gets off the ground! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday !! Thanks for sharing the Beatles, I have this album and love it. And thanks for the pics too, especially the last one. George is comfy and Jamie is such a lovely young boy... Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the novel Molokai'i!

    Those fruit photos are fantastic.

    Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy (belated) Birthday, Anne! The first song we danced to at our wedding was “When I’m 64.” 😊 You make 64 look good!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.