"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Sunday Salon, Feb. 28, 2021

This relates to my blog today. I've basically got nothing new to talk about. Sigh*

Weather: overcast. Yesterday was lovely, though, and we worked in a long dog-walk. When I say "worked in" I mean between watching TV and eating something.

Family: Don is watching golf on TV. Carly is doing laundry and playing video games. I am writing a blog about nothing.

Books: I finished one book this week Moloka'i. I finished it in the nick of time for book club on Wednesday. In fact, I recommend it for a book club selection. Here is my review if you want to see why. I am working on two more book club selections for upcoming months: The Last Resort by Stapley (31%) for my SOTH club and Fifty Words for Rain by Lemmie (53%) for our RHS club. I would describe my feelings about both of these books as lukewarm. Wait until I finish them for a full review before you decide to read them or not. A lot can happen still.

Cybils Nonfiction Finalists reviews: I have now posted all but three of the twenty-one reviews for the finalists I read for the nonfiction category. Check out my reviews by following the links in this post.

Cookies: I baked the cookies I found in this article: Douglas Shortbread Cookies with Jam. (Bloomberg News.) I think the family would review them as excellent and they are quite easy, in fact the title of the article calls them 'no-fail.'

Bingeing: We are binge watching "Call the Midwife."  In two weeks we have watched four seasons. I know. Who cares?

What happened the flu this year? Hardly any cases. Could it be masks and social distancing actually works? Hmm?

 

Watch this and laugh: If you are one of the few people in the world who hasn't seen this, watch it now!-- Silent Monks Sing Hallelujah Chorus. It makes me so happy.

 

A few more funnies I found this week:

1. Does no one at Amazon double check to make sure that names and colors are correct? Like Gary and Gray are the same thing?


2.  I'd say this is me exactly these days. If I have to go to the grocery store for food, the trip is so unique and exhausting I have to rest when I get home. Ha!

3.Yeah. Scientist, explain this to me.


4. Isn't this the truth? 



-Anne

24 comments:

  1. I’m be with you on the “eh” attitude. We really need spring to come early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I can totally relate to writing a blog about nothing.

    And yes, it's so nice not to have to think about President Biden. I know he's not going to do anything horrible that I have to worry and get up set about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a project this week where I looked back on a bunch of old blog posts and I really noticed how I usually said very little of substance.

      Delete
  3. I love Call the Midwife and the early seasons are my favorite. See what I read at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to notice it getting more and more melodramatic but we are still enjoying it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Anne, great post! I also feel the same about how LONG last year was...and about how it's great not to have to think (and worry) about what a president will do!

    Enjoy your books and your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the funnies - and no... I HADN'T seen the silent monks singing the Hallelujah chorus, so that made me laugh:))). And yes - last March does seem a VERY long time ago. I hope that at least the coming week doesn't produce any nasty surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I'm glad I posted the monks so you could see it, too.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Anne, I am calmer these days with our new President - relief. Those cookies look yummy and easy enough for me too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the thumb print pretty deep for the jam and honestly make the dough balls really small. The cookies do spread out a bit.

      Delete
  7. Any president I don't have to think about multiple times a day is a good president! The cookie recipe looks easy and delicious... think I'll try it this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I think you will like them, too. I think I may make a second batch as I burned the first one (so much for no-fair) and my older daughter and company snarfed down quite a few.

      Delete
  8. It is hard to find new things to talk about! I've seen the Silent Monks video before but I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been out for almost ten years and yet this was my first time seeing it. I watched it several times!

      Delete
  9. I love Call the Midwife; the characters in it have changed a lot over the years though. (which is good and bad) I'm reading "Hamnet" and am feeling very lukewarm at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very nice not having to fear what the president is Tweeting about. Those cookies sound really good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve enjoyed Call the Midwife though I think Season 8 was the last I’ve watched.
    All of your memes made me smile this week :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like I spent the last four years trying to bat down all the lies thrown out there...exhausting. I deeply appreciate our new president for his ordinariness, his ability to do his job based on what would be best for all people. That doesn't seem too much to ask of a president.

    Don't underestimate your role on your blog over the past year, Anne. You have offered oodles of information of substance as well as lots of great laughs. I appreciate that, and I thank you for that.

    I do find myself talking to others a lot about the "really big pigeon" I saw. Over and over again. Oh well. I great prefer really big pigeons to talking about the invasion of the Capitol....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is perfect. We have nothing going on, nothing seems to change, and yet we're all exhausted. Great choices of memes and tweets, as always.

    And I LOVED Call the Midwife! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to see Call of the Midwife. I hope you are enjoying it! Those cookies sound good. My daughter made cookies as her dessert project for Girl Scouts this past weekend. I'm fairly certain she is supposed to do something dinner-ish in the next week or so, but she's not talking. I guess I'll be waiting for the leader's e-mail with instructions.

    I was listening to the news on the radio the other day and it dawned on me after, there was not one mention of the President or even the former one--and what a relief that was.

    I hope you have a great week, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Call the MidWife is so good! My husband walked in on me watching the second season and liked it so much he went back and watched all of it. Sadly we're all caught up now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first picture has been me every single Sunday for the past year. I'm literally pulling out hair to recall what actually happened each week and then I deflate when I realize nothing happened, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That first picture is me every time my sister calls me or I call her ! We're having curfew at 6PM here and they talk about extending it to week-ends, where has our freedom gone ? UK has had 20 million people vaccinated, France only 3 million but hey, who cares... Ah well, I'm going to go and watch Call the midwife too, good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I love the cartoon at the top of your post. That’s basically my life right now. The power went out yesterday, and it was the most exciting thing that’s happened in weeks.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.