"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Review and quotes: STAMPED: RACISM, ANTIRACISM, AND YOU by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi

Title: STAMPED: RACISM, ANTIRACISM, AND YOU: A REMIX OF THE NATIONAL AWARD WINNING STAMPED FROM THE BEGINNING by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi

WINNER of the 2021 Cybils Award for High School Nonfiction.

Book Beginnings Quote:
"This is NOT a history book.
This is a book about the here and now.
A book to help us better understand why we are where we are.
A book about race." 


Quote from page 56:
      "In 1776 Thomas Jefferson, a thirty-three year old delegate to the Second Continental Congress, sat down to pen the Declaration of Independence. At the beginning of the declaration, he paraphrased the Virginia Constitution and wrote 'All men are equal.' 
     Bears repeating. All men are created equal.
     Say it with me. All men are created equal.
     But were slaves seen as 'men?'''
 
Summary: The history of racism., but not presented in a history book format or using a tone one expects to find there either.

"An amazingly timely and stunningly accessible manifesto for young people....At times funny, at times somber but always packed with relevant information that is at once thoughtful and spot-on, Stamped is the book I wish I had as a young person and am so grateful my own children have now." ―Jacqueline Woodson, bestselling and National Book Award-winning author of Brown Girl Dreaming

Review: I finished reading Stamped on May 30th, just days after George Floyd was murdered at the hands of a police officer. Of course my head was swirling with everything I was learning from news reports but also what I was learning and feeling by reading this book. Jason Reynolds, a respected award-winning YA author, came alongside Ibram X. Kendi to remix the 2016 National Book Award winner for nonfiction: Stamped From the Beginning. Reviewers for the Oprah Magazine say this book should be essential reading material on every high school curriculum.  It takes the academic adult version of the book, Stamped from the Beginning, and makes "it fast-paced and blisteringly honest language that will grip teens from page one." I would add that most adults will find it gripping, too. One does not need to be a teen to find this book very compelling.

Right now is prime time to pick up some books on the topic of racism and antiracism. We can do better and be better. This is a good place to start. I recommend it highly.

What I liked about the book:

  • The tone makes the book and information very accessible for teen readers. The chapters are short and always end on a note which increases interest to read on.
  • I learned a ton and I'm an old person who should have known most of this information by now.
  • Every part of the book leads the reader to thinking about themselves and what kind of person they want to be from this time forward: a segregationist (hater), an assimilationist (a coward); or an antiracist (someone who truly loves).
  • There are plenty of pages of end notes and bibliography to enhance future research projects.

What I didn't like about the book:

  • The 1st edition of the book was published by Little, Brown and Company and the book is friendly with plenty of white space on the pages to invite teens to read it. Another edition of the book published by Gale is not friendly. The font is too large and the binding makes it seem very schoolish. Anyone who knows teens, knows this is a turn off.

Source: Print book from public library. 
-Anne

12 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    It is so very difficult to say the right thing about this book, in a debate which is so emotive right now.

    Let's just say that I condone peaceful protest, condemn everything else and agree wholeheartedly with your notion of this book being a good place to begin educating not only the children in the classroom, but their parents and adults in wider society.

    Perhaps every household, everywhere, should be sent a free copy. But can we not remember that 'All Lives Matter'!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very important in these crazy times! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful book especially during these times. It does sound like essential reading for adults as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a timely read! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A book everyone NEEDS to read, including me! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for the adult version to be redone as a YA version! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting for my hold to come in on this. Absolutely required reading.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic book and I hope that, spurred on by recent events, many high schools read this in their classes. But, I hope even more that people and institutions change. It is not enough to just read, we must act.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished this amazing book a few hours ago. I am going to book talk it to my teachers and have them include it in their curriculum. It is a must read for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seems like a very timely book! I'd never heard of it, but I've heard of the authors. I absolutely LOVE that opening, and that 56 quote got me, too. I'm definitely going to have to check this out, and I think I'm going to recommend the library grab a copy. Sounds like a really important and accessible read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Jason Reynolds speak about this book at our virtual Texas Library Association Conference a few weeks ago. Jason Reynolds is one of those people who can seemingly speak to anyone about what is on his heart. I am eager to read this book.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.