"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sunday Salon...Happy Valentine's Day

Snow day fun.

Weather:
Snow! We have 6-8 inches of snow. Really rare stuff in the Pacific Northwest.

Family: Today (Sunday) is Valentine's Day. Don and I decided to not buy any gifts for each other, rather we will tell each other how much we love the other all day, at least 39 times, one for each year of our marriage.💖

Hot tubbing in the snow.

Valentines:
Our 'First family' gave us a big valentine of love this weekened. When asked why she did this Dr. Biden said that she felt that everyone needed a little joy right now. The other thing I noticed, which we haven't seen for four years of the previous couple in the White House, the Bidens clearly love each other. 💘

Healing, Courage, Love, Compassion, Gratitude, Peace, Amour, Strength, Kindness, Family, Unity. Love, Jill. 💕💕

Books: Last Sunday my Cybils team of judges selected our favorite nonfiction titles in three categories (HS, MG, Elem.). Today all the Cybils will be announced. Look for my post about the winners which I will release once that announcement is made. 

  • Books I finished this week:
    • The Cat I Never Named : A True Story of Love, War, and Survival by Amra Sabic-El-Rayess. A YA memoir about living through the Bosnian War/Genocide. This my last Cybils book. It was very well written and speaks to what is happening today in polarized politics. Print.
    • Ex Libris: 100+ Books to Read and Reread by Michiko Kakutani. A book about books that includes very few classics. This was a Xmas gift. Now I want to reread it to decide if I want to add any of the suggested titles to my TBR. Print.
    • Anxious People by Fredrik Backman. A popular book right now. And yes, all of the characters were anxious. Audiobook and e-book.
  • Books currently reading:
    • Apple: Skin to the Core by Eric Gansworth. A YA Memoir and a Printz Honor book. Print. 33% complete. 
    • A Promised Land by Barack Obama. We made a bit of progress, passing the 50% mark in this long audiobook. 53%.
    • Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo. I had to set this book aside sometime in 2020 so I am attempting to finish it now. Fiction, YA. Audiobook. 20%.

Second impeachment trial: I watched hours of the Senate trial. I can't understand how anyone can vote to acquit the President. I am completely horrified what happened that day as more details were shown during the  trial. If you watched little or none of the trial, I urge you to watch Rep. Raskin's closing remarks at the end of day three as the House Impeachment managers rest their case. Even though the Republicans voted to acquit Trump all the evidence is now on the record and the American people must remember this day and this vote next time they go to the ballot box.


On the lighter side: 

1. If you are the one person left on earth who hasn't seen the Zoom court case where one of the lawyers has a cat filter over his image. It is only 52 sec. and is hilarious. Watch it. It will make your day!


2. And then the world reacts to this hilarity...

 


3.Sadly, it appears to be true...

4.😟

5. Just funny, not political
6.
7.

8.
9. 2021 is turning out to be a bad year, too. Now this.
10. Rachel Maddow compares Trump's defense to SNL Emily Litella due to their misuse of words. She ended up with the giggles.

💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

-Anne

11 comments:

  1. Great links and cartoons! I definitely need humor to get me through the frustration of what's going on. I like your idea for Valentines Day. Mine will be low(no) key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, you have found fantastic memes this week! I especially like the point of trying to find 17 moral Republicans (and only finding 7!). And McConnell's speech after the vote? How does he live with himself?!

    I was pleased to see the CYBILS winners, they all look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sad about the results of the impeachment process. People who weighed (1) doing the right thing and (2) doing what your political party wants you to do, and chose option 2. Very sad.

    I shared a cat Zoom this week, too. We had a cat pop into our local museum board Zoom meeting, and I wished I had a video camera ready.

    I probably need to go back and add a few books to my wish list from Ex Libris, too.

    Thank you for the laughs. Seriously, lawyers? Trumpers were planning to bring calvary, not the calvalry? If anyone believes that, they will believe anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've also gotten way more snow than we ever see and it's crazy. Our kids are loving it though so that's something. So many cats bombing Zoom this week, not sure what's up with that or if there is a Cat resistance saying enough is enough with Zoom, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like the entire country has snow except for us in Florida... and I'm not complaining! The impeachment process was such a disappointment, but not a surprise. The cat filter on the zoom call was by far my biggest laugh of the week! Elizabeth Acevedo is an author I'd like to try soon. With the Fire on High is a book I keep meaning to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing as I read several of your tidbits, including Maddow's spiel spotlighting the idiocy of Trump's attorneys...and lightened by the SNL bits.

    I was also disgusted as I recalled the horrific lies and distortions of the Trump defense.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did you think about the book by Kakutani? Some readers say it's more the author's opinion on the current political situation than an analysis on books read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read her book because it was a Cybils finalist. It took me ages to get going on the book partially because I didn't really think it was a YA book. But I liked her writing and she did make me aware of the atrocities I wasn't aware of. I ended up really liking the book.

      Delete
  8. The panic in the eyes of that poor cat on the zoom call, hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cat lawyer is hilarious. I love all the cartoons and memes that it inspired too. I hope you’re having a good week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.