"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, February 22, 2021

TTT: Books I've read since the coronavirus invasion that made me laugh


Top Ten Tuesday:
Admittedly there isn't enough to laugh about these days, but every once in a while I find myself reading a book which helps lighten my mood. All of these books I've read since last March when the coronavirus invaded our world.


1. Cicada by Shaun Tan
Cicada is made to work day and night. When he finally retires he has his revenge. I love this illustrator and all his books. This one makes me laugh just to think of it.  (Read in March 2020.)
 
2. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
The second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series which is almost slap-stick funny. (Listened to audiobook in May 2020.)
 
3. Weather by Jenny Offill
I don't think this book is meant to terribly funny but I found this story, about a woman whose life isn't what she thought it would be, quite funny at moments, especially some of the turn-of-phrases. (Listened to audiobook in July 2020)
 
4. Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses by Kimberly and James Dean
Okay, I know this is a children's book, but honestly few things delighted me as much this past year as reading funny books with my grandson. (Read aloud to grandson in August 2020.)
 
5. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
Not meant to be a humorous book there were some funny, off-beat moments. (Read in September 2020)
 

6. James Herriot's Cat Stories
If you are familiar with James Herriot's stories they almost always include some cute, humorous event involving animals. (Reread in September 2020.)

7. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The book, like the film, has some very funny, memorable lines. (Read e-book in October 2020.)
 
8. Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
What would you expect when a comedian writes a book? (Listened to the audiobook in October 2020)

9. The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry
This book is both hilarious and poignant. (Reread aloud with family in December 2020)

10. Anxious People by Frederik Backman
Not laugh-out-loud funny but there were a few choice scenes and one particularly cartoonish character that lightened the mood. I haven't read very funny books since the beginning of 2021 so I had to pick the most funny of the not-so-funny books to choose from. (Read in February 2021.)
 
-Anne

22 comments:

  1. I need to read those Cat stories since I've been eagerly watching the new "All Creatures Great and Small."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to make it to BC; could you bring it with you? I may have already read it, but if so, it was a long time ago and the stories will seem new to me.

      Delete
  2. We need humor now more than ever. :) I've never read The Princess bride...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Harold Fry and all Backman’s Anxious People! This weeks topic was a challenge for me because I don’t read many funny books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trevor Noah is funny. One comedian we always loved. Sad we lost him to the US :-)
    https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/02/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-made-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxious People sounds interesting.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so curious about Cicada.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-made-me-laugh-out-loud/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harold Fry was so sweet and lovely - not quite a laugh out loud for me but wonderful. I've got her new one as well, Miss Benson's Beetle to read. These are my books that made me laugh out loud - some recent reads and some familiar classics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We could all use a few books to make us laugh after the past year. I loved the Pete the Cat ones with my grand-kiddos and a few others you selected did have some funny moments as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to start reading James Harriot! And I can imagine that The Princess Bride made you chuckle a couple of times. Yes, Harold Fry is not intended to be funny, but there are a few enduringly funny and quirky scenes.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah James Herriot's books are brilliantly funny! My dad used to read them to me when I was a kid :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/02/23/top-ten-tuesday-304/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the humor of James Herriott and Princess Bride, so lovely to see them here. And Cicada -- that sounds awesome, must check it out. Thanks and Happy TTT!

    ~ Lex (lexlingua.co)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anxious People was surprisingly funny in parts. I loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We can definitely use books that help lighten our mood nowadays more than ever! I really want to try Anxious People someday soon, glad to hear it has some funny parts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trevor Noah's book is definitely a good one! Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/books-that-made-me-laugh-out-loud/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've gotta read Anxious People one of these days. I keep hearing how awesome it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Princess Bride book is so good. I think I like the movie sightly better, but it's still really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of these except The Princess Bride but I do really want to read Anxious People and the Trevor Noah book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love James Herriot and Pilgrimage and Douglas Adams and Princess Bride and (probably best of all) the zany picture books I read. I've been focusing on reading some of the books from the mood-boosting books lists I've run across during the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad to see that Anxious People made you laugh as it's on my March Reading Plan. I could do with a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never did read "The Princess Bride," however I did see the film YEARS ago. Cannot remember much, but do know lots of people consider it a classic. :) Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland on this week.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.