"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Sunday Salon -- September 13th

The family after the University of Oregon football game wearing duck hats given to us a a prize for winning by my younger sister, Grace. So fun.


Weather: Cloudy. Temperatures are starting to cool down.

Two things you should know about politics in the USA right now:
  • 1. The FCC banned James Talarico from appearing on Jimmy Kimmel's Live show. The FCC doesn't ban Republicans from Fox News, just Democrats on ABC. Anyway. To make sure the interview is seen, Jimmy Kimmel Live posted the it on YouTube. Click on the link below and watch it (or at least run it in the background) so that this unfair situation is rectified by a larger viewership than they would have gained if the interview were aired on the show. Stand up for Free Speech! There were 4.9 Million views at the time I viewed it. What is the viewership number now for you?


  • 2. Do not use VOTESAFE (dot) org .  Do not even go and check it out. (Read why here.) In a nutshell, the website is a a fake voter registration site by Elon Musk, designed to steal your information. Any visitors to the site will unwittingly hand over their full name, birthday, home address, email address, cellphone number, IP address, browser, location, voter registration status, and district, not to mention every link they click on and every page they look at. If you visit votesafe.org . . . A code based on the technical traits of the device, known as a device fingerprint, is created so a user can be tracked even if cookies are deleted. It is so sinister. I urge you to stay away. DO NOT USE votesafe.org. This is an Elon Musk site that will feed you phony information.
  • If you are looking for information on voting:
    1. Google your own state department of elections.
    2. Google your county/city/town General Registrar, talk with them — call, go to the office, send email.
    3. Use vote.gov
We are heading out for a trip to the U.K. in a few days:  We will be visiting several literary sites: Bath (Jane Austen Festival), Hill House (Beatrix Potter home in the Lake District), Scottish site of the Culloden Battle (recently made famous in the first book of Outlander series by Gabaldon), Stratford-Upon-Avon (Shakespeare's birthplace); and several sites in London (so many books, so many plots!)

What I might read during the trip:
  • Here are the books I will have with me in some format. I know I won't get to them all, but at least I'll have options.
    • The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway (Print) -- I want to read this book this year as it was published 100 years ago. I purchased a physical copy to carry with me to read on the plane and at night after days of sightseeing. If I happen to finish it, I'll leave it behind someplace.
    • Civilizations by Binet (Ebook) -- This is a book club selection for a meeting I'll be missing during the trip. I still want to read it. So far I am still in line at the library so it may not come in on time. When it comes in I hope it can downloaded from afar.
    • Mad Mabel by Hepsworth (Audio) -- A fairly short audiobook so I may be able to finish it during our flights, if I don't fall asleep. I've heard it is very funny.
    • Anything is Possible by Strout (Audio and EBook) -- This is the second book in the Amgash series. I've read all the other books in the series out-of-order: 1, 4, 5, 3. Time to finish up by reading the 2nd book! Ha! I have checked out both the audio and the ebook so I can toggle back and forth. I've heard the book reads a little like short stories. Good. I like reading short stories when I am traveling.
What I've read recently:
What I'm currently reading:
  • Dungeon Crawler Carl /Dinniman -- Well, this book is fun! 31% complete, audiobook. If I don't finish this book before we leave, it'll jump to the front of the list of the books I hope to read on the trip.
Blogging: 
This: Voltaire quote will make you think.

Back to school: The grandsons are back to school and starting school. Off to a good start.
Ian -- 4th grade

Jamie -- Kindergarten

Jumping for joy at a pre-school event for the boys to meet their teachers.

September 11th: It has been twenty-five years since the terrorist attack on the WTC.


A note from a Norwegian:


It is unlikely I will create any Sunday Salons while on the trip, so I will see you on the flip-flop.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!