"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 17, 2026

Friday Book Snippets: EVIL UNDER THE SUN


Title: Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie

Book beginning, first snippet:
When Captain Roger Angmering build himself a house in the year 1782 on the island off Leathercombe Bay, it was thought the height of eccentricity on his part.
2nd snippet, page 64:
     It was eight o'clock when Linda, sitting at her dressing table, turned a little thick, calf-bound volume face downward, sprawling it open and looked at her own face in the mirror.
     Her lips were set tight together and the pupils of her eye contracted.
     She said below her breath:
     "I'll do it..."
Summary: Christie's 23rd Hercule Poirot novel, Evil Under the Sun is set on a tiny resort island off the coast of Devonshire. By the time the murder occurs almost every single guest at the resort is a suspect, including Linda, a sixteen-year-old daughter of the main suspect. In typical Poirot fashion, every single piece of evidence in uncovered and tied together to point at the actual murderer.

My thoughts: I enjoy Agatha Christie novels as much as the next person but I have to admit that one of the reasons I do is that all the pieces of evidence are all used and explained by Poirot by the end of the novel. One needs to pay close attention to even the smallest items because they will reveal some aspect of the plot later. And Christie also sprinkles her stories with red-herrings. All this makes reading her books both fun and very active. I did have a few problems with this particular book, however, which led to my rating of 3.25. Evil Under the Sun was published in 1941, presumably written in 1940. There is no mention of the actual date of the plot, so I kept assuming it was the late 1930s or early in 1940. Britain had already declared war against Germany by that time.  I just couldn't get past this point when nothing was mentioned about war at all in the plot. Other than that, it was a fun, fast read.

______________________________________________________ 


Welcome to our second week as a combined Book Beginnings on Friday and Friday56 with a new name Friday Book Snippets. I am co-hosting this weekly blogging event with Olivia at Bemused & Bookish. You can link up at either of our sites but be sure to still visit and comment on other participant's blogs to increase our community.

Directions: Share two snippets (a sentence or short paragraph) from a) the book's opening and b) page 56 (or another page) from the book you are currently reading. No spoilers, please. 

Note: I always try to comment on everyone's blog post but this week and next I will be out of the country and I just don't know if I will be able to make comments like usual. Please don't think I've abandoned you. Come back! Thanks for sharing your snippets.

LinkUp: 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!!