Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I have or would consider naming a pet after
|Sleepy dog. Bingley is not usually allowed on the bed so he is taking full advantage of his good luck this day.|
1. Bingley---My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is named after Mr. Charles Bingley of Pride and Prejudice fame. His full name is actually the same: Mr. Charles Bingley, Bingley for short. When searching for a name we wanted one which sounded very British and went to Jane Austen for inspiration. Pretty perfect, huh?
|Demi and Bingley cuddling together recently.|
2. We have had several cats named for characters from the musical "Cats", which was inspired by the poetry of T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.
- Gumbie---"I have a Gumbie cat in mind..." She was a beautiful black and white long hair.
- Jellicle, Jelly for short--- "Because Jellicles can and jellicles do..." He was a lovely, sleek black cat with a few white markings and a very mischievous disposition.
- Rumpelteazer, Teazer for short---"Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer were a notorious couple of cats..." She was a long-haired tabby, a stray who found herself at our door one day.
- Victoria, Tori for short---Victoria was the dance captain in the Broadway production and the center of the story in the film but no songs mention her name. Our cat was a beautiful, but neurotic half Siamese, half Rag Doll long-hair.
- Demeter, Demi for short---"There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter, Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames, Such as Plato, Ademetus, Electra, Demeter. But all of them sensible, everyday names..." Demi is still living, though quite old and decrepit. She is a long-hair of a silky variety with one blue eye and one yellow eye.
- Other names I would consider from this book of poems if we have cause to name a cat in the future: Mr. Mistoffelles; Skimbleshanks; Bombalurina. The poetry collection is a treasure trove of cat names.
|George (up) and Fred (under covers)|
3. Fred and George Weasley---My daughter adopted/rescued two ginger cats named Fred and George named for the twins in the Harry Potter books. When the veterinary office referred to them as Fred and George Bennett, our last name, she wanted to correct them and say their last name was Weasley.
- Other Harry Potter characters I might consider naming a pet: Crookshanks; Luna Lovegood; Dobby; Dumbledore; Cedric Diggory; Wilhelmenia (Grubbly-Plank).
|Elphie. My daughter's beautiful but elusive pet.|
4. Elphaba, Elphie for short---my other daughter has a long hair black and white cat named for the green witch in Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.