"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Cybils Award backlist of books for social change


As a judge for the Cybils Award in the nonfiction category I try to stay current on what is happening over on the Cybils website. This week they published a list of books dealing with civil, voting, and individual rights. The books they listed are on the Cybils backlist of books that were nominated by a book blogger for a Cybils Award in the past five years. After checking out their list I realized that many, many of these wonderful books were part of my reading list as part of my role as a judge. (See Cybils original post here.) This got me thinking. Why not list all the books I've read/reviewed over the past three years that match this assignment?  Finalists were culled down from a list of around 60 nominees per category and winners were selected from the finalist list of six to eight books.

Civil Rights. Voting Rights. Individual Rights: A look at some great reading selections to enhance your knowledge.

 

Cybils High School Nonfiction Winner, 2020. My review.

Cybils Elementary Nonfiction finalist, 2020. My review.

Cybils Elementary Nonfiction Finalist 2020. My review

Cybils Junior High Nonfiction Nominee, 2020. My review.

Cybils Elementary Nonfiction Finalist, 2020. My review.

Cybils Elementary Nonfiction nominee, 2020. My review.

 

Cybils High School Nonfiction Finalist, 2020. My review.

Cybils High School Nonfiction Finalist 2020. My review.

Cybils Junior High Nonfiction Finalist 2020. My review.

Cybils High School Nonfiction Finalist 2020. My review.

Cybils High School Finalist 2019. My review.

Cybils High School Finalist, 2019. My review.

Cybils Nonfiction nominee, 2018

Cybils Nonfiction nominee, 2018

Cybils High School Nonfiction Finalist, 2018

Cybils Junior High Nonfiction Nominee, 2018

Cybils Senior High Nonfiction Finalist, 2018. My review.

Cybils Junior High Nonfiction Finalist, 2017.

Cybils Senior High Nonfiction Finalist, 2017. My review.


Please check out the Cybils website for elementary, fiction, or graphic novels selections  on the same topics. Since I was a Round 2 judge for the past two years, only finalists and winners will be listed for those years. Previous to that I was a Round 1 judge so many of the books may be nominees that didn't make it past the cut, but that doesn't mean they aren't worthy of attention.

-Anne

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful list of amazing books! CYBILS really do end up with incredible reads in their nomination and finals lists.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.