"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Sunday Salon...animals edition

Our Dads. November 2005.

Happy Father's Day.
Today we are both remembering and missing our fathers.

Weather: Sunny and warm, possibly hot. The first day of summer is going to be a scorcher, according local meteorologists.

A squirrel, not of attacking fame. Photo credit: D. Bennett

"Nobody expects a squirrel attack." I took my grandsons to Northwest Trek on Friday, a local wildlife park that only has animals that live naturally in the Pacific Northwest. Ian, age three, was putting some trash from his lunch in the nearby garbage can. Unbeknownst to him, a little squirrel had just gone into the can to check if there were any tasty treats inside. As Ian reached his arm into the can, the squirrel was startled and bolted, scratching Ian's arm as it sprung from the can. Ian sustained three small scratches on his arm and was startled into tears. Later, when he told the story to his grandpa, Don listened carefully and then exclaimed "Nobody expects a squirrel attack" in the same tone as Monty Python's "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition." Ian thought this was hilarious. Now the attack of the squirrel has made it into family lore.

Bingley and Demi napping together. Photo taken a month ago.

Surgery: Our dog, Mr. Charles Bingley, had surgery on his leg to correct his luxation of the patella. Poor boy is now living a small life having to go on a lead every time he goes out to the yard to do his duty. Our old cat is all concern and follows him around the yard as we walk around on the grass. While Don worked outside yesterday, I had to stay inside, babysitting the dog. 😏


Champ, the first-dog, died: This letter was posted on Twitter by the first family after the death of their beloved dog. It is such a sweet tribute. (If you click on the photo of the letter it should make it big enough to read.)

Juneteenth! Juneteenth (short for “June Nineteenth”) marks the day when federal troops arrived in Galveston, Texas in 1865 to take control of the state and ensure that all enslaved people be freed. The troops’ arrival came a full two and a half years after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. Juneteenth honors the end to slavery in the United States and is considered the longest-running African American holiday. On June 17, 2021, it officially became a federal holiday.


Books:

  • Completed:
    • Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford -- a book club selection. The book is set in Seattle bookended by two world's fairs, 1909 and 1962. The book brings up lots of details about Seattle's not-so-wonderful history. It wasn't a favorite book but we had a good club discussion, especially concerning the world's fair of 1962 since several gals in the club went to it.
  • Currently reading:
    • The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah -- a very popular novel about the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. It is a depressing, sad story. 70% complete, audiobook and e-book.
    • Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler -- a book on my Pulitzer Prize Challenge list. So far I haven't made enough progress to decide what I think of it. 10% complete, e-book.


Adjusting: Carly and her cats, Fred and George, are adjusting to life back in San Fransisco.

Gay Pride Month: 

  • The White House hallway lit up to celebrate Gay Pride Month. Love the colors.




Cat humor:

If you have a cat you understand this. Let the cat out. Let the cat in. Let the cat out...

 

 



This would be Carly's cats. They try to fit into the weirdest spaces.
-Anne


17 comments:

  1. I love all cat comics. They are such strange animals! Book Club choices are really all about the discussion. I miss my dad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an especially poignant Father's Day for you, the first without your Dad.

      Delete
  2. So sad about the first dog. Love the cat comics.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful collection of cartoons/images this week! I love the lit up White House hallway for Pride month. Thank goodness we've got Biden and not the previous guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The friendship of your cat and your dog looks very special. Does it last all the time, or just occasionally?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the cat has decided that the dog is her protector. This alliance occurred during the time that my daughter and her cats lived with us. Demi did not like the other cats but found comfort in the dog's presence.

      Delete
  5. The White House all lit up...Juneteenth a national holiday...both of these were highlights of the week for me. It makes my heart happy to see these things happen.

    Thank you for sharing the funny cat comics. Oh my, and the squirrel story. A new story in the lore of the family.

    I thought Four Winds ended well, but there was a lot in the middle that just did not work for me. Probably just me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that the Four Winds ends well. I talked to Ian tonight and he told me that he told everybody about the squirrel story today at his other grandparent's house. Now the story is making the rounds.

      Delete
  6. I think I need a pic of your Mr. Bingley ... and I was so sad about Champ's passing. Oh gosh it hit me hard. Everyone knows that awful feeling. I think a squirrel attack would be quite startling .... Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cried about Champ, too. And that letter. The family loved him so much!

      Delete
    2. I see your photo of Mr. Bingley now .... so sorry he had to have surgery, ugh! How old is he? Our dog was in a cast for about 7 weeks in April & May ... for an achilles tendon injury ... but somehow was able to avoid surgery .... but it was quite an ordeal ... luckily she is now on the mend ... I hope your dog will be too

      Delete
    3. Bingley has a genetic defect that causes his patellas (knee caps) to luxate or move around in the joint which causes all kinds of pain. We had his right leg corrected last year and now he needed the same surgery for his left leg. Expensive but we love the little guy and he is only three so he should have some solid years ahead of him.

      Delete
  7. I wish I liked cats but I'm allergic to them! I love dogs but they are a lot of work! Enjoy your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am both a dog and a cat lover. My dog is so loving and attentive. My cat, not so much.

      Delete
  8. My sister had to say goodbye to her dog on Sunday. My heart broke for her. It's never easy.

    My taste isn't "Literary" enough to really enjoy many prize-winning books but I do have good luck with Pulitzer winners. I really should seek out more of them.

    I love your cat cartoons! They're perfect!

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne! I loved all your clever and funny pictures! Loved the witches one and I think Elza will love it too. The kids at school always asks if I picked her up before coming to school. Funny how the white hair just shows so much easier!

    Hope you are enjoying a good week and thanks for stopping by on Sunday! My week has been a bit hectic, sorry for late replies.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.