"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, June 4, 2021

Review and quotes: END OF WATCH


Title:
End of Watch by Stephen King

Book Beginnings quote: 

Z January 2016: A pane of glass breaks in Bill Hodges's pants pocket. This is followed by a jubilant chorus of boys shouting, 'That's a HOME RUN!.'

Friday56 quote (from page 20, last page of preview): 

Marlee rises and peeks into Dr. Stamos's office. He is sitting behind his desk with a folder open in front of him. KERMIT WILLIAM HODGES is computer-printed on the tab. The doctor is studying something in the folder rubbing his temple, as though he has a headache.

Summary: As with most mysteries I don't want to summarize End of Watch for fear I will give away too much of the plot. This is the third book in the Bill Hodges Trilogy where we are reunited with the ex-cop, Bill Hodges, his associate, Holly Gibney, and their friend, Jerome Robinson. We also re-meet a character from the first book in the series, Brady Hartsfield, who somehow is driving teenagers to commit suicide. If Hodges and Gibney don't figure out how he is doing it, the three protagonists may become victims themselves. The quote from page 20 gives us an idea of another plot twist-- Hodges is just about to get some very disturbing medical news about himself. Will he have enough time to figure out what is going on and find a way to stop it before he succumbs to his disease?

Review: My husband and I listened to the audiobook, read by Will Patton, on our current road trip to California to assist our daughter's move back to California after a covid-19 lockdown hiatus in our home in Washington State. We listened to the first book in the series, Mr. Mercedes, on another road trip, so we knew it would be a captivating book to listen to above the road noise. This book brings the Bill Hodges Trilogy to a terrifying and unpredictable conclusion, combining detective fiction with trademark Stephen King supernatural suspense where the outcome wasn't clear right up until the last few pages. We both give the book a 5-star review.


Big Books Summer Challenge
. Weighing in at 448 pages in length, End of Watch is my first 'big book' of the summer reading season and qualifies for the challenge hosted by Sue over at Book by Book. (Sorry, I didn't do a blog post about joining up this year, I've just jumped right in.)

20-Books of Summer Challenge. First book.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.   
  

-Anne

6 comments:

  1. I've read the first two, so I need to look for this one. It sounds like the perfect road trip book. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first Big Book of the summer, Anne! It also happens to be MY first Big Book this summer, too, though I haven't quite finished it yet - so gripping! I bet it was great on audio.

    No problem just jumping right in, but I do have two quick requests: 1 - Can you please link to the challenge from this post so others can find it? (link below) and 2 - can you also add your link from this post to the Sign-Up links list on the challenge page? - that way at the end of the summer, I will remember you signed up when I'm getting ready for the giveaway drawing!

    You're off to a great start!

    Sue

    2021 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you liked End of Watch. I've heard of a lot of good things about it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Mr Mercedes, but haven't read this one yet. Sounds like I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an excellent read, and I'm glad to hear it finished off the series nicely! I'm glad you're joining the Big Book Summer Challenge—I'm excited to get some books read for the challenge as well. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.