"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Friday Quotes: March 10th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book Title: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Book Beginnings:
This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.
Friday 56:
'Mr. Hartright, you surprise me. Whatever women may be, I thought that men, in the nineteenth century, were above superstition.'
Comments: I actually haven't started this book yet. I am determined to finish the other book I have going before jumping in to this one. The Woman in White is my Classics Club Spin book. I didn't look at it carefully before adding it on my list or I might have thought twice about it since it is over 600 pages long. We only have five weeks for the challenge so I must get going on it soon and fast. The comments I've gotten from people who have read it is that it is an enjoyable book. It is considered the first in sensational genre. It was published in 1860. I like these quotes, especially the one from page 56. It makes me laugh to hear the statement " I thought that men, in the nineteenth century..." since we could easily just change the century and say the same thing.

24 comments:

  1. OH! I've had this on my TBR for so long! Back in the late '90s there was a BBC production of it with Andrew Lincoln (who now plays Rick on Walking Dead) as Hartright ...
    I just did my first Friday 56 here: http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2015/04/friday-56.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will look for the BBC production. It might spur my reading on. Thanks for the tip,

      Delete
  2. I am not familiar with the sensational genre and for that reason too, I'd read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On closer inspection, it is hailed as the first, or one of the first, detective novels.

      Delete
  3. You've got me curious. This isn't my usually reading:)
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/10/the-friday-56-57-warpath-by-richard-blomberg/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, this one does seem interesting, though this is the first time I'm hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to read this one but I keep putting it off..lol. I hope you enjoy it.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very picky about books like this one, so I'm not sure if I'd read it, but I hope you enjoy it!

    Check out my Friday 56/Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is probably not the kind of book I would read, but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a long one. Give yourself a daily goal and it might go easier. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, unfortunately I am already a week behind. sigh.

      Delete
  9. The beginning is great - I should add it to my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choice. I've been wanting to read The Woman in White for as long as I can remember. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those books you "hear about" but no one seems to know what it is about. Guess I'll soon know.

      Delete
  11. Interesting. I don't read classics but hope you enjoy this one. You asked about my students and ebooks. I haven't tried that yet despite the fact that all my 9 - 12 students have their own netbooks. I find the whole topic confusing. I still buy print books for my library. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any librarian in my district has successfully integrated e-books of popular fiction into their collection yet and I know I need to try it soon. With your extensive e-book reading yourself I thought perhaps you had words of encouragement for me. Sigh.

      Delete
  12. This is one on my Classics Club list as well and I think I have it coming up on my Reading Assignment Challenge. I'm really looking forward to reading it and hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know if I find it thrilling, as the Victorians did in their day!

      Delete
  13. A womans' patience is vast, that I am sure.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard a lot about this book. I really like both the beginning and the 56.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read this one but I think I have it sitting on my Kindle. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pick I never heard about that genre before it looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One review I read said it would be considere the first sensational novel...you know, the type of mystery. The definition: "The genre derived its name from the contemporary theater’s 'sensation drama' noted for spectacular effects and displays of intense emotion. Sensation fiction drew on a variety of popular forms including melodrama, domestic realism, newspaper reports, Newgate novels, and gothic tales."

      Delete
  17. I'm not familiar with this book, but I do hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.