"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Sunday Salon, March 12, 2015

Weather: sunny and comfortable temperature

Today: my daughters and I attended a baby shower which had a duck theme. The girls created cute duck cupcakes and the decorations were little rubber duckies. (See photo.)

Mundane week: this past week was pretty mundane. I just did normal stuff  like a a dental appointment (silver fillings replaced with composites); mammogram (a necessary evil); an in-service to learn a few tricks on my new iPad (I am excited about all the possibilities.)

Weeding and inventory: I finished the library inventory this past week. Yay! While inventorying the books I also spend some effort to weed out the old, out-date, non-circulating books. Out with the old, room for new books. After tossing 40-bags-in-40-days during Lent I was in the mood to continue the purge. So far I have weeded out several boxes of old books. The process of touching each book each year also gives me a chance to look it with critical eyes. I found several books that were part of series that I didn't have the other books in the series, sometimes not even the first book. Those books were the first to go.

Classic Club selection: Every quarter the Classics Club offers a challenge to read a classic work of literature. Participants are asked to create a list of twenty classic books they'd like to read. Then on the selected day a spinner is spun and the number is announced. The book in that spot for me was The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Stay tuned for weekly updates on my progress. The goal is to finish it by May 15th.

Books read this week:

  • The Martian by Andy Weir---my new go-to book for recommendations.
  • The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Ann Foley--- a Printz Honor book.
Currently reading:
  • The Neverending Story by Michael Ende---my current audiobook selection
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins---my Classics Club Spin selection
  • Becoming Billie Holiday by Carole Boston Weatherford---written in verse.

Circle Me, O God: A prayerful song that can be a comfort to those who need to feel God's love and comfort this week, such as my friend who lost her brother to an accidental death on Friday. Click the link. (Sung by Ross Hauck, tenor. Written by Jeff Johnson.)


5 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy Woman in White. I'm still working on Middlemarch. Over halfway through! Whew.

    Beautiful song. Thank you for sharing your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been curious about The Woman in White....hope you enjoy your books...and those cupcakes are adorable.

    Enjoy the new week....and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, The Martian is another one that's been waiting patiently for me to read! I gave it to my husband, my father, and my step-father for Father's Day last year based on rave reviews I'd heard, and they all loved it. I will definitely get to this one before the movie comes out in November!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cupcakes are so sweet! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commend you for taking on the Woman in White. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Here's what I thought of The Martian http://www.thecuecard.com/books/the-martian/

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.