"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Friday Quotes, May 1st

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book title: And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard

Book Beginnings:
There are rumors the day Emily Beam arrives at the Amherst School for Girls--- in January, halfway through her junior year. She doesn't look like the other girls,, who look like girls in magazines. She doesn't sound like them, either, and she wears different shoes.
Friday 56:
POEM OF THE MIDDLE HEART
You cannot hear me
through a stethoscope.
I do not say Ba-BUM, Ba-BUM.
If you cut the body open,
you would not find me...

My comment: Emily has arrived at the new school after her boyfriend committed suicide in front of her at her other school. Now she is writing poetry as if she is channeling Emily Dickinson. I like the poetry part of the book. The book dedication says: "For the ones who stay."

11 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. Reminds me somewhat of the book What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones! Cool choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely sounds like a really interesting topic and I do love Emily Dickinson's poetry. Initially the beginning put me off because I thought it was another 'new girl is strange but everyone is attracted to her' story, but the F56 makes it sound very different! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting and I like that the author has incorporated Emily Dickinson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like it would be interesting. Potentially heart-breaking but great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this sounds like an emotional read. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy! And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the description of Emily. It's so important to wear the right shoes when you're a teenager! She sounds like an interesting character with serious problems. I'd enjoy getting to know her.
    My Friday post features MIDDLE-AGED CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Emily...I hope the other girls aren't mean to her.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by the cover and snippets. I kinda like the bit of prose!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also intrigued the book looks and sounds amazing I really like the 56! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anne,

    This book, although probably not one I would be rushing to buy, certainly has an interesting and intriguing premise and oddly alluring cover art.

    I am not familiar with the work of Emily Dickinson, however if the examples of her poetry I have discovered online are anything to go by, then I shall be checking out her prose much more closely.

    I like that the author has given her protagonist the name Emily and that the book is set in Dickinson's place of birth, Amherst Massachusetts.

    I was a little disappointed to read the very mediocre reviews and ratings this book has attracted, so shall be looking out for your own review, to see what you thought of it :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this sounds like an interesting read. I hope you're enjoying it.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.