"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 6, 2015

Book club titles for busy moms


My friend wrote me and asked:
Since I know you're in multiple book clubs and get to read books as part of your job description, I was wondering if you could recommend any titles for a new book club. This group will consist of moms who are looking for some adult conversation and mental stimulation (but also don't have an over-abundance of time). We are primarily interested in fiction, but an engaging non-fiction title would do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Here are some suggestions for Kristin and my thoughts:
 Title
 Author
My thoughts
The Invention of Wings
Kidd, Sue Monk
Author of The Secret Life of Bees; about the Grimke sisters (abolition and female rights)
A History of the World in Six Glasses
Standage, Tom
A new favorite. Nonfiction. Maybe too serious for your group.
The Rosie Project
Simsion, Graeme
Lighthearted. Popular book today. Be sure to watch the Bill Gates video.
The Light Between Oceans
Steadman, M.L.
Pretty serious book. A decision that changes everything.
Whistling Season
Doig, Ivan
I love this book. About one-room school house. You would love this book, Kristin. Set in Montana in 1910.
Language of Flowers
Diffenbaugh, Vanessa
The gals in my club REALLY got in to this book. Based on the Victorian tradition of assigning meaning to different flowers.
Wild
Strayed, Cheryl
If everyone has seen the movie, skip this one, if not it is a good discussion book. Memoir.
Wonder
Palacio, RJ
A junior book. About acceptance and friendship.
Half Broke Horses:  A True Life Novel
Walls, Jeannette
Based on the life of Jeannette Walls grandmother. She was a character.
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt
Hoffman, Beth
If family fails you redefine family as those women who do love and accept you.
Paris Wife
McLain, Paula
A fictional account of Hemingway’s first wife; based on real events.
Physick Book of  Deliverance Dane
Howe, Katherine
Salem/Witches past and present. I enjoyed the look back at our history.
Sarah's Key
De Rosnay, Tatiana
Set in France during Nazi occupation. A shameful event in history that has just recently come to light. Shocking.
Still Alice
Genova, Lisa
If your group are all young moms this book might not speak to them the way it did in my group; about early onset Alzheimer.
Housekeeper and the Professor
Ogura, Yoko
The math professor has an 80 second memory the housekeeper has to reintroduce herself every day yet they forge a friendship. Short and lots to discuss. (I even learned a little math.)
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Skloot, Rebecca
I wouldn't start with this book but it is a treasure trove of information to discuss about medical ethics. Nonfiction.
Shanghai Girls
See, Lisa
Set in both Shanghai and in California. This would be an excellent book to start with; lots to discuss.
A Northern Light
Donnelly, Jennifer
YA; based on a real event from history; a mystery.
Esperanza Rising
Munoz, Pam
Junior; lots to discuss about cultural difference, migrant workers, poverty
City of Thieves
Benioff, David
Set in Russia during WWII about the siege of Leningrad; horrifying and yet humorous.
The Art of Racing in the Rain
Stein, Garth
Set in Seattle, narrator is a dog
The Shack
Young, William P.
If you have Christian gals in your group, do this book sometime. We loved it.
The Thirteenth Tale
Setterfield, Diane
A mystery with plenty of twists and turns.


Some of my favorite books aren't good book club selections because there is nothing to discuss or debate. The Rosie Project appeared to be one of those book but we did find quite a bit to discuss.

Have fun. Keep me posted.

5 comments:

  1. I love your suggestions, especially Rosie Project and Wonder. I'd add The Hen Who Thought She Could Fly, Orphan Train, Eleanor and Park, and The Fault in Our Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I forgot about The Orphan Train. We had a great discussion on it. I've read Eleanor and Park and The Fault in Our Stars but not with a book club. I am going to have to look up the Hen book. I haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list. I need to put Ivan Doig titles back on my TBR list. thanks for reminding me

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful list of books.

    I have read quite a few of these.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again! Our first book is The Rosie Project (really enjoyed it), to be followed by The Invention of Wings. Really appreciate the suggestions.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.