"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Friday Quotes, September 25

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Book Title: Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier


Book Beginnings: 
Tommy was a talker and didn't much like the other ghosts, so he was forever talking to Kelpie. That's how she divided them up: talkers and silent ones. Most ghosts were silent. Most ignored the living. Kelpie thought that was just as well.
Friday 56: 
 Palmer was pacing and asking her questions about being a ghost. None of which she could answer with two of the living sitting right there. Was he daft? Kelpie was pretty sure he was.
Comments: The story is set in Surrey Hills, a suburb of Sydney, Australia in the 1930s. Historically this was an area run by gangs and mobsters. Kelpie, a young, pre-teen orphan and street urchin, inadvertently gets herself involved with a gang at war with each other. Oddly she can see and hear ghosts and can communicate with them. So even though the story isn't really about ghosts, as in a horror or scary story, they play a prominent role. I am listening to the audiobook read by three Aussies: Rebekkah Rimmington, Fiona Hardingham, Davis Ligudzinski. I am enjoying it and their accents.


 

19 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a book with ghosts that isn't about ghosts.
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/friday-reads-25th-september-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting. :) I'll be putting it on my want to read list.

    My Friday 56: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of ghosts being part of a story without the story being a paranormal or scary one! That way they can play a really interesting part in the story without having to just knock over people and be busted! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun book to listen too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun book - thanks for sharing. Here's My Book Beginnings and Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I can handle a story with ghosts if there are actual live people who play a prominent role in the book...LOL.

    The talking ghosts would freak me out a bit! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very original premise. I like the intro, it gives a little sense of the author's sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband was a talker, I'm a silent one. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the concept of this book, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not into ghosts, but I hope it is a good read for you.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though there are ghosts the book is really historical fiction set in Australia in the 30s.

      Delete
  11. What a cool premise. It sounds really good. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sorry to be so late getting to yours today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool premise. It sounds really good. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sorry to be so late getting to yours today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting ghost story. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't find an e-mail for you, but which Paris books did you choose to read? :)

    Thanks for coming by my blog.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little Paris Bookshop. I'm on hold at the library.

      Delete
  15. I like that it's set in a past era. I bet listening to it is even more fun. Love the cover too. I might have to check this out.

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/25/a-tiny-metal-horse-nuzzled-her-hand-the-friday-56-79-mechanica/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like ghosts of any kind. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a strange sounding book! Very unusual!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.