"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Friday Quotes, September 18th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 
 
Book title:The Bird King: an artist's notebook by Shaun Tan

Book Beginnings: 
INTRODUCTION. I'm often wary of using the word "inspiration" to introduce my work---it sounds too much like a sun shower from the heavens, absorbed a passive individual enjoying an especially receptive moment. While that may be the case on rare occasions when an idea pops into my head for no discernible reason, the reality is usually far more prosaic. Staring at a blank piece of paper, I can't think of anything original. I feel utterly uninspired and unreceptive. It's the familiar malaise of  "artist's block" and in such circumstances there is only one thing to do: Just start drawing.
Friday 56: The illustration on page 56 is titled: Concepts for Aqua-sapiens

I could not resist the sketches on pages 28-29 titled: Reading 


Comments: Shaun Tan is a supremely talented artist.  His book Tales from Outer Suburbia is my favorite, but his books The Arrival  and Lost and Found are pretty amazing, too.  He is so inventive. One can look at his diagrams for a long time before catching all the elements. This book is about the creative process and we are shown sketches and doodles and early work. Each chapter is explained by Tan so we know what we are looking at and to expect.


15 comments:

  1. Those drawings are so great! That looks like a very interesting book.
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/friday-reads-and-friday-56-with-book_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love a good doodle! I'll have to check it out! Mine is from a new-to-me historical mystery series (which I'm horribly embarrassed to admit to not knowing about before last week!): http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2015/09/bookbeginnings-friday56-beautiful-blue.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book to have out and open to something interesting once in a while, like a coffee table book almost. Great holiday gift for creative friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to doodle, but they don't turn out looking like that. I agree with Elizabeth, sounds like a great gift idea, but I would read it before passing it on. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. A different kind of read than what I'm used to. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me author and his work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His art looks so cute - I'd like to see some of his work.

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always like reading exactly how artists do their work, what it is they enjoy about it etc. I somehow hadn't heard about Shaun Tau yet but I agree that his work is incredibly detailed and beautiful to look at! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always intrigued by books about creativity or the process. Thanks for sharing! Here's mine: “HOUSE OF GLASS”

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful and quirky book! I like that the author explains what's going on a little to give you some frame of reference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover and illustrations! Looks like an awesome book!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those illustrations. This looks really fun!

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/18/the-friday-56-78-the-flip/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that first cover. Thanks for visiting Carole's Chatter - unfortunately I'm not still in France! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your book beginning! I think it's something we can all relate to either in writing or in the arts. I love that the opening also has some advice - just draw. It's wonderful :D I like the description of inspiration too.
    Have a great week,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an intriguing book you've got this week! I love everything about it; just those illustrations would've sold me though!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.