"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Friday Quotes, Cuckoo Song

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now: 

Title:  Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge

Book Beginnings: 
Her head hurt. There was a sound grating against her mind, a music-less rasp like the rustling of paper. Somebody had taken a laugh, crumpled it into a great, crackly ball, and stuffed her skull with it. Seven days, it laughed. Seven days.
Friday 56: 
Lost weight? Lost weight? With incredulity Triss recalled all the food she had devoured over the last three days. How could she have lost weight?
Comments: I hope to start this book this Saturday. My daughter read it and thinks it is a very good YA Gothic/fantasy novel. All I know so far is the girl isn't what she thinks she is. Hmm...sounds a bit mysterious, too.

What are you reading this week-end? What do you think of the cover? It sure looks creepy to me.

17 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, the cover is a deal-breaker for me. I just can't get past it to want to read the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seven days? Lost weight even while gorging. Hmmm, I am a bit curious myself.
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently this is one of the first signs that things aren't what she thought they were.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I'm adding this to my tbr right now! Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will work for the RIP, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You reeled me in with those excerpts....even though it isn't my usual read. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ALL THE SUMMER GIRLS”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued! It definitely sounds like all is not as it seems and I love the cover. Definitely a bit spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thoroughly intrigued as well!! Sounds gripping!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most intriguing! The description of the laugh is chilling and so vivid. Will be checking this one out for my Halloween reading list!

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/11/the-friday-56-77-stillwater-a-jack-mcbride-mystery/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to discover the writing skills of this author.

      Delete
  9. That cover is pretty scary!!

    ENJOY your read, and thanks for coming by my blog. If you want to stop back, I suggested a "Paris" book for you. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - I like the beginning of Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge ... at least, I think I do. Sounds kind of scary somewhat like The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling this book tips on the creepier side of fiction than The Bell Jar. We'll see,

      Delete
  11. It sounds like a great book. I can actually relate to the Friday 56... I'm trying to gain weight but even when I stuff my face and do strength training to try and build muscle, *points to quote*... it's very frustrating!! x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.