"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Friday Quotes

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Title: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach

Book Beginnings: 
Muriel Donnelly, an old girl in her seventies, was left in a hospital cubicle for forty-eight hours.
Friday 56:
Dorothy started making breakfast. No oranges. Yesterday she had hobbled out to her greengrocer's only to find it had turned into a Snappy Snaps. Her own face, in the mirror, had been replaced by that of an old woman. 
Comment: I enjoyed the movie and didn't even know it was made from a book .until I was perusing a list of book club kits at my library. The book is actually quite different than the movie so I am not able to predict upcoming action.


21 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the movie....and I can relate to the 56: I am often surprised to see an "old woman's face" when I look in the mirror...LOL.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such an insightful blog. Thanks for sharing. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. Interesting! All the best for your future blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a lovely book and film!
    I added you to the Linky! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I enjoyed the movie and didn't realize it was also a book. I'll definitely read this one! I like the book's beginning and your Friday 56 choice too.
    My Friday post features SOMETHING ABOUT MAUDY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the movie. I'd like to read the book, since I probably missed some lines in the movie due to laughter.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/04/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_24.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is very different than the movie and I don't think it is as funny as the movie, either.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the book, but the movie was once on in the background and I absolutely loved Maggie Smith's character. It was hilarious!
    My Friday: http://myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-beginnings-friday-56-and-feature_23.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, her character, Muriel, was very funny and she did a great job in the role.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen the movie yet but I desperately want to! I mean, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench in one film together? That's amazing! I really like the tone of the two teasers, so I guess I will be reading this one soon! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!

    My Friday post

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to see the 2nd Best Exotic Marigold Hotel this weekend. If it keeps raining I think there is a good chance it will happen.

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting to see the film. Now I may have to read the book as well! Thanks. Please check out mine here... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this sounds interesting! I have never heard of the book or movie but I am officially intrigued (races to add book to my Amazon wishlist lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something tragic must have happened to her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was she left there purposely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes she was left there on purpose and it forms the basis of the beginning of the Marigold hotel...no spoilers.

      Delete
  12. I think I would enjoy the film a whole lot more than the book, simply because I rarely read contemporary. Still, this one looks witty and quite entertaining! My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read another book by this author - Heartbreak Hotel - and I enjoyed it and have been wanting to read the book or see the movie. Love the excerpts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea either! I'm going to have to look into the book - I loved the movie!

    Check out my 56 (with Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got this movie and will be watching it tomorrow night. What a coincidence. I'd love to read the book too!

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/24/the-friday-56-59-cut-me-free-by-j-r-johansson/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard of the movie but didn't know it was from a book either. It sound like an interesting read. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.