"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 6, 2015

Classics Club Spin #9 starts today!


The Classics Club Lucky spin number is 2.  Looking down my list, I will be reading:



The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

I've learned a little about this book today. The Woman in White was serialized in Charles Dickens' weekly magazine, All the Year Round, from November 1859 to August 1860. It caused a sensation right from the first installment. It has been described as the first sensation novel and one of the first detective novels. Victorian readers loved it! It was so popular that other products were named after it such as "The Woman in White" perfume and other toiletries, even "Woman in White" bonnets and cloaks.

I am excited to jump in and start this classic book because it appears to be an exciting story which has stood the test of time. Wilkie himself said "...the primary object of a work of fiction should be to tell a story." I am ready to begin.

My plan is to complete the book by or before May 15th.  The version of the book I have is 609 pages so I will need to read an average of 120 pages a week. I also checked out the audiobook from my public library so I can utilize my commuting time as listening to "The Woman in White" time. I'm a little nervous that I will find this challenge to be challenging. But here I go... off to read my first chapter.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good plan. I have not read this classic but will be interested to hear what you think. I had no idea it was that long. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.