"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, August 12, 2019

Top Literary Characters I'd Like for Best Friends

Top Ten Tuesday at Artsy Reader Girl
What Literary Characters Would I Like for Best Friends?
Note to reader:  My best friend in high school was male.  In fact, we are still great friends.  So while making my selection of potential best friends from the literary world I did not think it necessary to select same gender characters.  This list is in random order.

Additions from 2019-
  • Andy (An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green)- Andy and April May discover the original Carl, a visitor from another planet. While April May's fame goes to her head and she has a hard time coping with instant fame, Andy remains constant and calm. Points for being loyal, calm, and kind.
  • Raymond (Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman)-Eleanor has worked for the same company for years yet she has no friends and weekends are a miserable time for her, until Raymond, the slovenly I.T. guy invites her to do things with him and helps her come out of her shell and get the help she needs to recover her mental health. Points for thoughtfulness, kindness, and willingness to be friends for the long-haul.
  • Sam (When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore)- Sam and Miel are best friends and they have to navigate a world dominated by the lovely yet wicked witches, the Bonner Girls. Sam protects and loves deeply despite so many dramas and secrets. Points for devotion.
  • Malcolm Polstead (La Belle Savage, The Book of Dust #1 by Philip Pullman)- noticed suspicious activity around the convent where the baby, Lyra, was hidden. Malcolm saved Lyra and delivered her safely, against all odds, to her father. Points for bravery
  • Travis and Lydia (The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner)- Dill is a senior about to graduate. Travis and Lydia are his only friends. This book is really the story of devoted friends who want what is best for each other but friends can't always save us. Points for being the kind of friends that everyone needs.
  • Hermione, Ron, Luna, and a host of characters (Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling)-Need I say more?
This is a re-post, my original list posted in 2010.
  • Quentin "Q" Jacobsen (Paper Towns by John Green)- Q is completely devoted to his neighbor and friend, Margo Ross Spiegelman.  When she goes missing he dedicates all his efforts to finding her.  Points for loyalty and stick-to-it-ness.
  • Gonzo (Going Bovine by Libba Bray)-Gonzo is the death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf who is friend and side-kick to Cameron when he goes on his epic journey to save the world.  When everyone else disappoints, Gonzo stays by his side to the end.  Points for loyalty to the mission.
  • Stargirl (Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli)- Stargirl is the eccentric new girl in town who is willing to show her courage by not conforming to the normal teenage standards and behaviors.  In the process, she brings out the best in many people.  Points for uniqueness and being willing to go it alone, if need be.
  • Corrigan (Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann)- The Irish monk who is willing to set himself aside and lovingly tend to the needs to the down-trodden.  Points for giving of self.
  • DJ Schwenk (Dairy Queen series by Catherine Murdock)-DJ an athletic girl who knows and appreciates hard work on her family's dairy farm.  She is very talented yet she is humble and loyal to her friends and family. Points for not letting her talents go to her head and for loving her family even when it isn't cool to do so.
  • Katsa (Graceling by Kristin Cashore)-Katsa is "graced" with the skills to protect and to kill yet she is loyal to her friends and fights on the side of good and justice.  Points for loyalty and good use of gifts.
  • Elinor Dashwood (Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen)- Her maturity in the face of family disasters and her willingness to do what is right for her family even if it means she has to hide her own sorrows makes her a worthy friend.  Points for being calm and caring.
  • Karl Shoemaker (Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes)-Honestly, if you are a reader of my blog and you haven't read this book yet, you must! Karl is friend to all the members of the Madman Underground.  He is always rescues, listens, gives, drives, does what it takes to make sure his friends are OK. Points for devotion and determination.
  • Marcus aka wln5t0n (Little Brother by Cory Doctorow)-Marcus gets swept up and arrested in a terrorist event in SF.  When he finally gets free, he uses his knowledge of technology to expose the Homeland Security's techniques as illegal.  He also devotes much effort to freeing his friends, still in prison.  Points for using gifts of technology information to fight the good fight.
  • Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery)-Mark Twain proclaimed that Anne Shirley is the most delightful, moving heroine. Points for her romantic soul, her idealism, and her adventurous spirit.
  • Ed Kennedy (I Am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak)-Ed starts off in the book as a ne'er-do-well but all that changes when he thwarts a bank robbery and becomes the Messenger.  As he accomplishes his messenger tasks, he grows and matures.  Points for being an all-around good guy.
  • Jem Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee)-Scout's older brother who actually attempts to fight off an adult who is attacking his sister.  Points for being loyal and kind, even to his younger sister.
  • Lucy Pevensie (The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis)-Lucy is my favorite of the four Pevensie children who enter the magical Narnia.  She loves Aslan and reminds her family of his love for them.  Points for being such a kind and gentle person.
  • Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien)- Sam is possibly the most well known "best friend" in the literary world.  He stayed by Frodo's side through all the trials on his epic journey.  Points for being the best friend a person could want and for being strong when Frodo was weak.
  • Piglet (Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne)
Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.  “Pooh,” he whispered.
“Yes, Piglet?”
“Nothing,” said Piglet, taking Pooh’s paw, “I just wanted to be sure of you.”

How about you?  Do you know any literary characters you would like to have for a best friend? 


-Anne

34 comments:

  1. Anne Shirley definitely. Jo from Little Women. The race car driver from The Art of Racing in the Rain. The teacher in Whistling Season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and several characters from Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea! Duh. I completely forgot Hermione and Ron. Good call, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this list so much. You had a lot of the characters that I *almost* put on my list: Quentin, Gonzo, and Karl. Piglet and the rest of the Winnie the Pooh group would make such great friends, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on Lucy and Piglet. I think they'd be great BFFs. I also think Harry, Ron, and Hermione would be good ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice List. We opted for Scout Finch on our list, but ideally we’d want Jem, Dill, and Scout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Stargirl on my list too! And good call on Ed Kennedy! He would be such a good friend!

    My Fictional BFF's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours is the second list I've read today with a Winnie the Pooh character on it. Too cute! I added some Lord of the Rings love to my list as well. Nice picks!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads
    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw...that Pooh & Piglet quotation was so touching *sniff*. I love Anne (she made my list) and Stargirl...wow, I can't believe I forgot her! She is the best definition of a true friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pick on Elinor - I almost picked Anne Eliot from Persuasion. Both would have made splendid friends!

    -Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, LUCY! She's my favorite Pevensie too! Wish I'd thought of her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Elinor! Most people picked Elizabeth but I agree with everything you said about Elinor - and I really think she is one of the most mature of Austen's heroines, despite the fact that she is still relatively young.

    And I definitely wouldn't mind having Katsa on my side (much better than having to fight against her LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for stopping by mine. Yeah I've read all of them except the one that just come out I'm working on that one. I think she gets alittle better. I cant remember what happened in Evermore really. (Need to go back and read it)

    I liked sme of the characters you picked I wouldnt of thought about the narnia kids

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this was a great topic, Anne - so sorry I missed it yesterday!

    You made some wonderful choices. I'm not familiar with all of them, but your reasoning is sound! And, yes, Pooh and Piglet are the ultimate in best friends, as are Calvin and Hobbes (big favorites at my house).

    I just started re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird today for my book group, so I love your inclusion of Jem. And Lucy is my favorite Pevensie, too.

    I just asked my husband this question, and he laughed and said, Lisbeth Salandar! (have you read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yet?) He also mentioned Tom Sawyer. Oh, and maybe Peeta from The Hunger Games. This is fun!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Lucy and Jem are great picks, I love Lucy. I remember Ed Kennedy being easy to relate to. I don't know most of the others, but Stargirl sounds familiar even though I know I haven't read it or placed it on a TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good choice on Samwise Gamgee, he is the ultimate friend. I just decided Katness would need to be on my list because she is such a good friend to the other people when she makes an alliance she believes in keeping it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Anne -

    Wasn't sure if you'd check back to my blog for my responses, so I'm reprinting them here...

    I said the same thing to my husband - much as I like Katniss, Peeta would be a very loyal friend! And after I left my commant, he thought of Ron and Hermione, too! It was a fun list to consider.

    I read Half Brother a few weeks and LOVED it also! Here's my review:
    http://greatbooksforkidsandteens.blogspot.com/2010/10/teenya-review-half-brother.html

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree about Lucy Pevensie, and Elinor is a great pick. So true. Also Piglet. :)

    Can I say too that even though they're not on the list I LOVED seeing Calvin & Hobbes at the top of the post. Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list! 👍😍 Raymond is a great friend to have! 🙌
    https://readingladies.com/2019/08/12/book-characters-that-id-like-as-best-friends/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad that Raymond and Eleanor didn't get romantic. It would have wrecked the story, I think.

      Delete
  20. Gosh, I so need to read Elinor Oliphant -- everyone has such goodf things to say about the book and the characters,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Raymond is a good choice. So are the Harry Potter characters you added!

    And I was totally expecting Calvin and Hobbes to be part of your list, too, because of the drawing you added at the top. :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read any of your 2019 additions! Samwise Gamgee would be a good friend, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There are so many people who attended Hogwarts that I'd love to have as a friend! But OMG, I'd forgotten about Gonzo. Loved Going Bovine!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to read Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine! I've heard nothing but great things, and I own the book, so I'm planning on getting to it before the summer ends.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anne Shirley would be perfect!

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great picks! I feel like I had to control myself to not list nearly all of the characters from Harry Potter. Love that you included Anne Shirley! And Lucy Pevensie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love Sam and Miel as well. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sam, Anne, the HP kids and Raymond for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I only know the Golden trio from your list but I really want to read When the Moon was ours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great list! I love how you included Piglet. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great list! Piglet is my favorite Winnie-the-Pooh character. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Samwise Gamgee is definitely the best friend ever! And the Harry Potter characters for sure! I love how you included Piglet too <3

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.