"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 23, 2015

This Week in the Library, March 22-28



 What's happening in the library this week?  
Jane Austen Week. We will be watching Northanger Abbey, Austen's least known work. there will be prizes, food, and trivia.  Join us every lunch period in the library for the week. ***UPDATE: I changed my mind at the last minute and I'm showing BECOMING JANE starring Anne Hathaway. I think the students will really appreciate Jane Austen much more after seeing it.




New Fiction:
  • Red Glass by Laura Resau---when a tragic accident forces Sophie to take a dangerous journey, she recognizes that love is worth the risk of losing.
  • Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard---Marie Barrow's world is divided by blood, those who are red and those who are silver.
  • Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan---for the coming-of-age reading assignment.
  • Pointe by Brandy Colbert---a heartbreaking yet hopeful novel about how to let go if even our most shameful secrets.
  • Some Boys by Patty Blount---Some boys go too far. Some boys will break your heart. But one boy can mend it. (Donated)
  • Mojo by Tim Tharp--- a murder mystery
  • The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher---Ashlee Parker is dead, Emily Shepherd's dad is accused of the crime. He is a former soldier suffering from PTSD.
  • Absent by Katie Williams--- Paige is dead. A freak fall from the building during Physics class. Now she is a ghost, permanently stuck at school.
  • The Witches Boy by Kelly Barnhill--- a magical story of family and redemption.
  • Origins and its sequel, Vitro by Jessica Khoury---Pia has always known her destiny to start a new race, a line of descendants who will bring an end to death.
New nonfiction:
  • The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown---nine American and quest for gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. This is the All-Pierce County Reads book of the year.
  • Rivington Was Ours by Brendan Jay Sullivan---"Lady Gaga and the Lower East Side and the prime of our lives."

3 comments:

  1. I havent gotten to Boys in the Boat yet, so I will await your review. I'm sure it's good. And a local read for you too, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read THE BOYS IN THE BOAT last year for a book club and am reading this year in my other book club. The crew was from the University of Washington and the author is from our area here but the era was so different than out own it is hard to tell it was here except for the local landmarks mentioned. It is a tremendously good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing The Boys in the Boat for a while, mainly because of all the great reviews it has collected. Also, I have been trying more and more non fiction, and it sounds highly interesting. And The Killing Woods sounds fantastic. I love my mysteries!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.