"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Friday Quotes, March 20

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book Title: Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome

Book Beginnings: 
There we four of us---George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency. We were sitting in my room, smoking, and talking about how bad we were--- bad from a medical point of view I mean of course.
Friday 56: 
Will it be the same in the future? Will the prized treasures of today always be the cheap trifles from the day before? Will rows of our willow-patterned dinner plates be ranged above the chimney-pieces of the great in the year 2000 and odd?
My comments: Jerome K. Jerome published this book in 1889. It was a "runaway success and has never been out of print." Touted as a humorous book it seemed like a fun one to pick up to see what all the fuss is about. Well, humor must be one of those things that is tied to a location or a time period because though there are some humorous passages the book generally isn't that funny to me. Now I want to finish it just so I can say I did (finish it.) Isn't the Friday 56 quote true? They are talking about antiques and the twenty-first century. Ha!



15 comments:

  1. The 56 is something to think about. What from our time will people 100 years from now treasure as antiques? Please check out my BB and 56 here... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing about the 56, excellent choice. I bet this book is about disillusioned young men, which is why the humor doesn't travel well through time. Here's my post
    http://ebogie.blogspot.com/2015/03/book-beginnings-page-56-shepherdess-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if they are disillusioned it takes a different form than today.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting choice. A book that has been in publication that long is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think humour can be period-bound! Jokes are terribly dated really quickly, especially nowadays! The cover really made me laugh though, there must be a story behind it! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday Post 
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the 56! I love Blue Willow china so it made me laugh a little. I can see how the humor would be a bit dated so it's too bad it's not as funny as advertised. Hope it's still an okay read. I haven't heard of this one but I'm tempted to go hunt it down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this book, but it sounds interesting. Humor is so subjective, and sometimes it's especially hard to see what's funny in books written long ago. Sounds like one I should get from the library rather than buy!
    My Friday post features THE SNOW CHILD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is definitely new to me (but of course it is actually old!); I liked the remark about the prized treasures being cheap trifles in the future. So true.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “SOMEONE IS WATCHING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the quote is opposite today's trifles become tomorrows treasures. I like it that they were thinking into the 21st century.

      Delete
  8. Are these guys amateur philosophers? Their words seem worth thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it until you said it but you are right.

      Delete
  9. That quote for the 56 is so true, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds different, but in a good way! Refreshing.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL...the cover made me laugh out loud.

    I like it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.