"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Sunday Salon, March 29--- Spring Break Week

The ugliest potted plant in recorded history (and we were seated next to it.)
Location: Birch Bay, Washington (on the US/Canadian border)

Weather: Raining

Home: Don got home from Kentucky on Thursday, one day earlier than expected. Yay!

Birch Bay: our condo is right across the street from the beach (rocks) and Birch Bay, way up North near Blaine, Washington. Across the bay we can see the lights of homes in White Rock, British Columbia. This morning the color of the water (grey) and the color of the sky (grey) are the same.

Karaoke dancing: last night we went to dinner at a very divey restaurant/bar and the service was really slow. We were seated next to a large potted plant (see photo above) that was clearly the ugliest plant we had ever seen. We asked the waiter why they didn't get a nicer looking plant and he said, "Why, so drunk people can wreck it, too?" Later the karaoke started up and all the locals not only got up to sing but they also got up to dance when someone else was singing. By the end of the evening we were in high spirits from all the laughing. And, by the way, our salmon sandwiches were delicious.

Spring break: Spring break started at 2:30 PM on Friday afternoon. I had a very busy day on Friday in the library with students needing help on their assignments due that day, book-talks to Freshman, iPad check-outs to teachers, and the end of Jane Austen week. I was ready for a break.

Speaking of Jane Austen week: I showed the movie Becoming Jane and the attendees really got engrossed in the story. I don't know how true the movie is compared to her real life but it makes a plausible explanation for how she able to write such remarkable books about life in the Regency period in Britain. I have shared my love for my favorite author and I am pretty sure have created some new fans along the way.

Palm Sunday: we are missing services at our home church today but plan to drive down to Bellingham to attend services at the closest Presbyterian church in the area. Today is the day we celebrate the triumphal entry of Jesus to Jerusalem just one week before he is crucified. Next week is Easter, when we celebrate the resurrection. *Update, we really enjoyed attending church Birchwood Presbyterian Church in Bellingham. The congregants were very friendly and we felt at home with the liturgy.

Books read this week:
  • All the Bright Places by Jennifer Nevin---a very moving story about two teens who save each other, for a time. Very timely and touching. look for my review later today or tomorrow.
  • Shipping News (audio) by E. Annie Proulx---a re-read. This time I listened to the audiobook which is an abridged version. It made me want to re-read the print edition now. Egads. I love this quirky book set in Newfoundland.
Currently reading:
  • The Martian by Andy Weir---Don and I are listening to the audiobook together. 
  • Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan---an upcoming book club selection. I am reading this on my iPad...my first e-book.
40-bags-in-40-days update: only 3 bags done this week---
  • Two bags of books---1 bag I took to work to give away or to add to my collection, the second bag I set aside for Goodwill. I even threw a few books away.
  • Under the sink in master bathroom---as I was getting ready for work on Monday I accidentally dropped a diamond/gold earring down the drain. The water wasn't running at the time so I knew I could recover it but didn't have time to mess with the drain trap at that moment. After school my daughter was willing to climb under the sink IF I committed to cleaning it afterwards. I store all my hair and skin products under the sink and the place was jammed full of them. I threw away a bag of out-dated products.
  • One week left in the challenge and I think I am going to make it but I will have to get to work when I get home from Birch Bay. I still hope to tackle by T-shirt drawer, the linen closet, and the coat closet. That should do it. It has been a worthy task.
For your viewing enjoyment: Odin Eating Peanut Butter dressed as man. Make sure you have your sound on. It is impossible to not laugh when you watch/listen to this:



4 comments:

  1. Funny ugly plant story! Glad you had such a great time. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Austen week sounds like a success. I want to see Becoming Jane again, now.

    Congrats on your first e-book. It took me awhile to make e-books fit in my life and they still aren't my first choice. But I do love having a book on my phone for odd moments during the day. For me, the trick was to use the phone for the books that are fun, short, and easy.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes where did you see or find the Odin video? Funny crazy. Up near Blaine, you're almost Canadian, ha. I've been to Bellingham but I don't think Birch Bay near Blaine. I'd like to see the White Rock area too. Enjoy your spring break! I'm actually going to Victoria mid-week for an event -- and really looking forward to it. Cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun. Sympathy for the plant! Getting lots of relaxation and reading in -- and that list completed!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.