"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 23, 2015

TTT: Ten favorite books from my childhood I have or would like to revisit

Just today I was perusing a book titled 501 Must-Read Books. It is divided into categories: Children's, Classic, Mysteries, etc. As I looked through the Children's section I reminded myself just how much I'd like to reread some of the books on the list especially since I probably read the abridged version first time around. However, I had the privilege to reread several of these books when my children were young. Some of my favorite memories of those growing-up years were the times I spent reading out loud wonderful stories before bedtime with my girls.


1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott---I'm pretty sure I read the abridged version first time around.




2. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame---this title has popped back into my consciousness  this past month. I don't think I ever read it very carefully.

3. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift--- like Little Women I am fairy sure I read the abridged version of this classic.
 

4. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett---my memory of this story is so vague I think it will be more like reading this book for the first time.

5.  The Borrowers by Mary Norton---I read this series to my daughters, magical!


6. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis---a family favorite. We've read and reread it several times.

7. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls---I love this book. I have reread it in adulthood but want to reread it again.

8. Old Yeller by Fred Gipson--- even though I don't remember the exact plot I know it involves a dog and I cried a lot when I read it as a child.

9. The Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle---oh, I loved this book as a kid. It was truly the first book I loved. When I reread it with my children it seemed to have slipped. I think I need another reread to give it another shot.

10. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain---I was busy reading abridged versions of books as a kid and I loved Huck Finn when I read it as an adult. It is time to reread this classic, too.



6 comments:

  1. I adored Little Women. It's a book I revisit frequently too. :-) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read it once and when I was in 5th grade, or something like that.

      Delete
  2. The Borrowers made my list too! My TTT: http://myexpandingbookshelf.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-ten-tuesday-24-march.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wind in the Willows has been popping up everywhere for me too lately. I see it in pictures, as recommendations and at the stores. I finally gave in and added a copy to my shelves with the intention to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list of books!! I can't believe that I haven't read A Wrinkle in Time yet!! I'm going to read it this year for the 2015 Banned Book Reading Challenge.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I totally forgot about Where the Red Fern Grows and The Secret Garden - I would dearly love to re-read both of them!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.