"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Friday Quotes, March 13

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book Title: Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle

Books Beginnings: 
My father used to carry me down the hall to my room after I came home from the hospital. By then I could walk if I had to, but the risk of falling was too great, so he carried me like a child.
Friday 56: 
Because the story wasn't the point, wasn't what was troubling me. It was the little details, the stage on which it was set, the margins. The trappings of the greater story--- the props, the scenery, the special effects--- those were what held me, spoke to me.
My Comments:  the book flap says this is a story told in reverse. I basically know very little. The narrator was in a terrible accident that scarred him, nearly killed him. Now he lives the life of a hermit, communicating with others only through the role play game he created. I am currently just a few pages ahead of my last quote. Crazy cool cover, huh?

15 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting and I don't think I've every read a book told in reverse before (I'd think I would hopefully remember it if I did). The book cover kind of hurts my eyes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic - I'm adding it to my tbr! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book cover is a little crazy but the plot, and the fact that it is told in reverse sounds really interesting, I'll have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover. Don't know about the book though. Sound like it is a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cover is creative but it's the writing the story backwards that caught my interest. I'm liking the sound of this one.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/03/13/the-friday-56-54-the-unspoken/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS very confusing. This whole backwards story-telling. I read a few reviews today and people either loved the technique or hated it.

      Delete
  6. Yes, a crazy cool cover. Messes with my eyes.
    sherry @ fundinmentalFriday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting idea for a book. A lot of us only know each other through the Internet, but the role playing bit is cool. As for the cover, LOL it's sets my vertigo into fits! :-) Click on my name to read mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, the document has your listed blog as one you clearly started and stopped using back in 2013. Time for an update! Sorry I couldn't find you.

      Delete
  8. Sounds very mysterious, so of course I want to know more! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting! I'm curious to see how the story in reverse works out so I'll definitely have to look for it. The cover is crazy! I don't know if I love it or if it hurts my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read a story told in reverse. I'd read this one for that reason alone. What a clever idea!
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog post today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting way to tell a story! Hopefully it isn't too confusing though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't help but wonder what happened to them...
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of this book! It's currently in my Amazon Wish List

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.