"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Weekly Blogging Challenge, June 14th.

Question: Older Books More People Should Read

(I got derailed last week while I was putting this prompt together so I am sharing it a week late!)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, published in 2000

I just read this book this year so I know it is a book worth taken a second look at. It is about life in the world, but mostly in America in the late 1930s on around the time that comic books were becoming very popular. It also includes a view of WWII very seldom taken in literature, what was happening in the lead up to WWII inside the US, like the embrace of Nazism by many. This is a large book on my topics with a large heart. My review.

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert, published in 2003.

Set on the Hawaiian island, Molokai, at the turn of the last century. Rachel Kalama is sent there to the leprosy colony as a young girl. This is her fictional story of an actual place. This book is astonishing and interesting. A not-to-be missed book and a perfect book club selection since there is so much to discuss. My review.

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem, published in 1999.

A murder mystery where the protagonist, Lionel Essrog, has Tourette's Syndrome, and his language makes for some very funny, often crass, vocalizations. I read this book in the early 2000s and again two years ago and found it delightful and hilarious both times. My friends, didn't like it nearly so much. The difference?  I listened to the audiobook, they didn't. My recommendation, listen to this one. It is hilarious in that format. My review.

 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.