"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, July 9, 2018

TTT: Favorite books read in 2018, so far

Top Ten Tuesday: My Favorite Books Read in 2018, So Far

Favorite sequel book in a series:
  • Goldenhand by Garth Nix---the fifth book in the Abhorsen series. I LOVE this series and this book was very satisfying. Read January 4th, published in 2016.
Favorite re-read (tie):
  • Going Bovine by Libba Bray---a YA book which is both zany and poignant. It takes the protagonist on a heroes journey where he discovers so many things about himself, about life, about friendship. I originally read it in December 2009, and June 8th this year, published in 2009.
  • Ready, Player One by Ernest Cline---this is just a fun book, for anyone who remembers the beginning of video games. I reread this book on March 29th in anticipation of the movie coming out. I originally read it in October 2012, reread it in March, and it was published in 2011.
Favorite book about The Beatles:
  • Dreaming the Beatles: The Love Story of One Band and the Whole World by Rob Sheffield---believe it or not, I have read more than one book about the Beatles so far this year, and the year is just half over. Read on January 14th, published in 2017.
Favorite audiobook:
  • Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders---this amazing audiobook was narrated by cast of 166 unique voices. It was an amazing experience to read this story set in a cemetery after the death of Abraham Lincoln's son. This is the format you should use to consume this book. Wow. Listened on March 1st, published in 2017.
Favorite audiobooks as a shared experience:
  • Going Bovine (see above)---Carly and I listened to this book during our cross-country car trip. We both ended up crying as we discussed it afterwards. It is a very moving book. 
  • Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and a Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance--- Don and I listened to this book which got so much attention during the 2016 campaign for what it had to say about disillusioned people in our country. It gave us a lot to talk about together. Listened on July 1st, published in 2016.

Favorite book club selection:
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann--- a nonfiction account of a series of events in US history we knew nothing about. Very interesting and maddening. This book generated an excellent discussion. Read February 6th, published in 2017.
Favorite YA novel: 
  • The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert---I would pick Going Bovine (I love the book so much!), but since I have already mentioned it twice, I picked this story which is a twisted fairy tale with a bit of Alice in Wonderland thrown in. Very creepy and atmospheric. Read June 27th, published in 2018.
Favorite Middle Grade novel:
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill---OK, truth be told, it is the only middle grade novel I've read this year, but I loved it.  LOVED it. Read June 28th, published in 2016.
Favorite adult novel published over 30 years ago:
  • True Grit by Charles Portis---I find as I age that I can finally go back read or reread books published along ago and finally understand why they have stood the test of time. This book has a remarkable narrator, Mattie Ross. I highly recommend it. Read March 18th, published in 1968.
Favorite graphic/illustrated book:
  • Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Pénélope Bagieu ---These YA graphic biographies are so important for today. Women who made a difference in the world. History should be just about what the men did. Read May 22nd, published in 2018.
Book I have talked about the most:
  • Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach---whenever I read a book authored by Roach I spend the next several months telling everybody what I learned from it. This book is no exception. If you haven't read any books by Roach I should tell you that she takes serious subjects like digestion and reports about all kinds of issues related to it, and lots of the topics are gross, but does it with a great sense of humor. Read May 1st, published in 2013.

27 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these books, but it looks like you've had a really interesting reading year! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard really good things about Ready Player One but haven't been tempted to pick up it. Chances are I'll see the movie though. :)

    Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ready, Player One is so good. It was my go-to book in 2012 if anyone asked me what book they should read next. I gave it away as gifts, and wanted to reread it instantly. And, of course, the book is better than the movie.

      Delete
  3. Hillbilly Elegy is one I want to read, based on some things I've heard about it, and The Hazel Wood has me intrigued as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad we listened to this book together. It is very insightful and possibly helpful.

      Delete
  4. I wasn't that keen on The Hazel Wood, but glad to see you enjoyed it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/top-ten-tuesday-167/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed on Goodreads that people either loved or hated this book. I was actually shocked that some folks hated it since I liked it so much.

      Delete
  5. I'm always thrilled whenever I see Going Bovine on a list. I read it years ago as well and loved it. I'm always surprised it hasn't gotten more attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I feel the same way about Going Bovine. I seriously think the problem is the cover.

      Delete
  6. It was a good discussion of "Killers of the Flower Moon" in spite of the fact that only three of us were there. Did you read it for your other BC too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was this the club meeting where we only had three people? Egads. We haven't read it for my other club, though I should suggest it.

      Delete
  7. What a diverse list! The Beatles are my favorite band, so I'll be checking out Dreaming The Beatles. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I've read a lot of Beatles books and this one is very good. Sheffield used to be a writer for Rolling Stone magazine (I think) and he writes very well. It is pretty geeky, though. You have to be a real fan to appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Glad to see Goldenhand on your list! I loved the original series but haven't read either of the sequels yet and was hoping they measured up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Abhorsen series so much. in fact, I should probably reread it!

      Delete
  9. Going Bovine is a wacky book, but its significance sneaks up on you. I also enjoyed it. I loved Girl Who Drank the Moon too. I need to catch up with my graphic novels tbr once I get back to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on goodreads: Rummanah(Books in the spotlight)

      Delete
  10. Great list. I enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy and I would like to get to Killers of the Flower Moon. Looks interesting. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to check out The Girl Who Drank the Moon. Glad to see it made your list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I like how you picked categories. Hillbilly Elegy is sitting on my TBR shelf right now, so I hope I like it as much as you did.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillbilly Elegy is certainly worth consideration. But I hope you have someone you know who has read it so you will have someone to talk about the book with after you are finished.

      Delete
  13. I've only read one of these books: Killers of the Flower Moon. I must read Going Bovine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots on here I've been meaning to read--The Girl Who Drank the Moon, Hillbilly Elegy, Lincoln in the Bardo, True Grit...and I know I love Nix but read the first few books so long ago I'd have to start all over.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did try and read lincoln in the bardo after it was shortlisted for the booker and couldn't get into it at all. I guess I should try the audiobook then.
    Engrossed in a good book

    ReplyDelete
  16. Killers of the Flower Moon is on my TBR, I keep hearing such good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, Ready Player One is so much fun! :)

    The Hazel Wood is also one of my favorites of this year.

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've read quite a few different types of books this year!

    I haven't read any of them, but Ready Player One sounded interesting to me. I heard that the book wasn't very good, but maybe the people I've heard it from were wrong. Maybe I'll check it out at some point.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.