"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Classics Club Spin is back. Prepare your lists!


The Classics Club Spin is back.

What is the spin?
It’s easy. Before next Wednesday 1st August 2018, create a list of twenty classic books of your choice that remain “to be read”.
This is your Spin List.
You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the month.
Try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five classics books you have been putting off, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, re-reads, ancients, non-fiction, books in translation — whatever you choose.)
On Wednesday 1st August, The Classics Club will post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by 31st August, 2018. We’ll check in here then to see who made it the whole way and finished their spin book!
What’s Next?
  • Pick twenty classic books that you’ve got left to read. Or you are welcome to read along with me. Check out my list below.
  • Post that list on Facebook, blog, or your refrigerator, numbered 1-20, before Wednesday 1st August.
  • We’ll announce a number from 1-20. You can check my blog or the Classics Club website for the number.
  • Read that book by 31st August.
  • Let me know how you did.
My List

Title
Author
My Hopes 
1
Bastard Out of Carolina
Allison, Dorothy
Top five
2
Agnes Grey
Bronte, Anne

3
Master and the Margarita, The
Bulgakov, Mikhail
Bottom five
4
If On a Winter's Night a Traveler
Calvino, Italo

5
Death Comes for the Archbishop
Cather, Willa

6
Moonstone, The
Collins, Wilkie

7
Tale of Two Cities, The
Dickens, Charles

8
Count of Monte Cristo, The
Dumas, Alexandre
Bottom Five
9
Name of the Rose, The
Eco, Umberto

10
Middlemarch
Eliot, George
Bottom five
11
So Big
Ferber, Edna

12
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Hardy, Thomas
Bottom five
13
Scarlet Letter, The
Hawthorne, Nathaniel

14
Talented Mr. Ripley, The
Highsmith, Patricia
Top Five
15
Suite Française
Nimerovsky, Irene
Top five
16
Wild Sargasso Sea
Rhys, Jean
Top Five
17
Frankenstein
Shelley, Mary
Bottom Five
18
Grapes of Wrath, The
Steinbeck, John
Top five
19
East of Eden
Steinbeck, John

20
Picture of Dorian Grey
Wilde, Oscar



Join me!


AND THE SPIN # is....














#9
Looks like I will be reading THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

13 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun list as well! Now I'm rooting for #1 because I know nothing about Dorothy Allison & I'm looking to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh a chart, this is a great idea and really good book choices too! I hope the numbers spin in your favor! See you Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some great books there, but I think I like some of your Bottom Five better than your Top Five! Tess, for example, versus Suite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Suite Francaise, especially considering that it was essentially a rough draft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read So Big for a spin a few years ago & having been wishing it on everyone ever since - it really is so good!

    My list will go live on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list -- I really want to read Edna Ferber because I lived in Texas. I've read all your top five except Bastard Out of Carolina, they are all wonderful! And Middlemarch is also excellent. I won't lie, the first 100 pages are a bit dry, but it's really worth sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you included your hopes here, too. It adds another dimension to your list.

    Frankenstein was a recent read for me, and I was surprised to find that I was completely caught up in the story. It was nothing like I had anticipated.

    I'm a huge fan of Suite Francaise and Grapes of Wrath, so I'm sending good thoughts to universe that your choice will be one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha - I like the look of your bottom 5 more than your top 5! But I'm going to hope you get number 7, because it's such a brilliant book! 😜 Hope you enjoy whichever one comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved several of the books on this list. Hopefully you get one you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, Willa Cather or Jean Rhys definitely. I read Death Comes For the Archbishop recently and really enjoyed it and Wide Sargasso Sea - brilliant book.

    Here's my spin list: https://whatcathyreadnext.wordpress.com/2018/07/26/the-classics-club-spin-18/

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many great classics here! I look forward to seeing which one gets picked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still working my way through "Crime and Punishment", but will be tackling Faulkner this fall for my classics book club. I absolutely loved Tess, A Tale of Two Cities ( the only Dickens' book that I finished), Moonstone, and the Count of Monte Cristo. You have some great titles listed here. I hope you get to read a title in your top 5.

    P.s. I have a large ELL population at my school. I order/recommend MG titles to them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like so much fun! I’m going to be reading The Name of the Rose at some point in the next few months as part of a mail book club so I hope you enjoy it! I also bought The Talented Mr Ripley quite recently as it is one I’ve wanted to read for a while! Happy reading 😊

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.