"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Friday Quotes, July 5th

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
Th
e Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now---


Book Title: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Book Beginning:
"On the morning the last Lisbon daughter took her turn at suicide---it was Mary this time, and sleeping pills, like Therese---the two paramedics arrived at the house knowing exactly where the knife drawer was, and the gas oven, and the beam in the basement from which it was possible to tie a rope."
Friday 56:
"As soon as she had permission, Cecelia made for the stairs. She kept her face to the floor, moving in her personal oblivion, her sunflower eyes fixed on the predicament of her life we would never understand." (Page 27)
Comment: Not a very cheery topic, huh?  Surprisingly the book isn't really about suicide, though all the Lisbon sisters do kill themselves, as we see in the foreshadowing in the very first line of the book. It is really a a coming-of-age novel which gropes with the trials of adolescence and how we come to understand ourselves and other people, especially of the opposite sex. Written in 1993, this book has been around for a while. I liked Eugenides' Middlesex a lot and heard this one was very good, too. My husband and I listened to the audiobook together on a trip home from California. I wanted to talk about the book as soon as we finished it, so I was glad he listened, too. It is a very unique book. The narrator, who we come to understand is one of many neighborhood boys, refers to "we" as he tells the story of the life and death of the Lisbon sisters. I became obsessed with wanting to know who "we" referred to. Eugenides' writing is simply luminous.  Have you read this book? What did you think of it?


21 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it's not only about suicides. It has me interested - thanks for sharing. I'm reading Someone by Alice McDermott this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like it could be an okay story. Enjoy your current read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it is a niche book that every person wouldn't enjoy or appreciate but I like quirky books and I loved his second book, Middlesex. It won a ton of awards.

      Delete
  3. I thought I had read this book, but now I'm pretty certain that I only saw the movie. But I was captivated. Now I think I should read the book. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ALL WE EVER WANTED”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some how I haven't read this yet, one of these days I'll have to try this author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dark subject and yet this sounds like it's more about the people around the sisters. Got me curious.

    My Friday 56 from Dying For A Taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about both. In the end the boys admit that they really knew very little about the girls.

      Delete
  6. I'm interested. I know it sounds depressing but it's intriguing enough for me to find out more, like why the suicides?

    Here is my Book Beginning and Friday56 feature!

    Have a great weekend! Luv Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was depressing but not in a downer way. In a lot of ways it is funny, too, especially if one is willing the mine the psyche of the teen male.

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this book before. I'm glad you found it intriguing. This week I am spotlighting Shelved Under Murder by Victoria Gilbert. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its seems to be best known because of the movie by the same name, but I know when I watch a movie I don't always know if it came from a novel or not.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great read, even with the subject matter. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. It's been on my TBR list for a while. I read a book about books and the author said it was her favorite so I had to move it up the list.

      Delete
  10. I loved "Middlesex" and his writing, so I should probably read this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! Middlesex is a top 20 book for me. This book is pretty unique and it took at least half the book before I really bought into the premise and wanted to know how things went down.

      Delete
  11. All the sisters died? Oh, my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there is no tension about it because we know it from the first sentence on.

      Delete
  12. I picked this up out of curiosity a few years ago. I honestly can't remember much, the movie is what I associate with the title now. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of this one before, but I didn't know it was such an intriguing story. I hope that you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.