"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, July 30, 2018

Review: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

When I started reading the much-talked about book, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, I thought I was reading an unfunny version of the Rosie Project where a person on the autism scale bumbles around work and is made fun of by coworkers. It didn't take me long to realize how wrong I was.
I simply didn't know how to make things better. I could not solve the puzzle of me.”
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is the story of a girl who in living in survival mode. She was so traumatized by events from her childhood and so lonely for human connections that she has no way to judge her actions against societal norms. Coworkers may make fun of her but Eleanor is so busy trying to hold herself together that their comments hardly register. Eleanor's whole life from the surface is all order and routine, but the below the surface, Eleanor has nothing. From Friday after work until Monday morning, Eleanor's only companions are two bottles of vodka. She wonders to herself if she dies, how long it will be before someone from work bothers to follow-up to see if she is alive. Her isolation is almost complete. But as the novel unfolds we discover why and it puts a new spin on rude comments from coworkers. Do we really know what sadness our friends and colleagues have to bear on their own? Then Eleanor meets Raymond, the new guy in the IT department. He is not interested in the workplace gossip and asks Eleanor to join him for lunch. Slowly, tremulously a friendship develops between the two and the closed world that Eleanor has been encased in starts to crack. But can she survive once she confronts the truth?
If someone asks you how you are, you are meant to say FINE. You are not meant to say that you cried yourself to sleep last night because you hadn't spoken to another person for two consecutive days. FINE is what you say.” 
Though the topic is a very serious one, I should mention that there are some very funny moments in the book. Most of the funny parts relate to Eleanor's misunderstandings in social settings. At one point, I had a thought run through my head that Eleanor is a bit like Amelia Bedelia. Remember her from your childhood. She is the fictional character who took everything for its literal meaning.

Eleanor Oliphant is an amazing book. Why? Because it should give everyone a moment of pause.  We've all known Eleanors. Every workplace has an Eleanor, the oddball coworker who rarely says anything and just doesn't seem to fit in. Possibly a person who is teased without knowing much of anything about the person. We've all known people who were lonely. Maybe we didn't know how lonely, but loneliness is a condition we can do something about. When Raymond befriends Eleanor she starts to see the world through a different set of eyes and she didn't like everything she saw.

I was so touched by the book. Even as I am writing this blog, I feel like crying. It is, in a lot of ways, a book about hope, about platonic love, and about empathy. I want to be the Raymond in someone's life. A person who is willing to hold up a mirror for someone to see themselves more clearly, but also be willing to stick around when things get rough.
Sometimes you simply needed someone kind to sit with you while you dealt with things.” 
As a Beatles fan, I kept wondering if Honeyman chose the name, maybe subconsciously, because of the song Eleanor Rigby, who, "died in the church and was buried alone with her name."  The song and the book certainly have loneliness in common. Just a thought.  I sincerely hope that we choose this book for an upcoming book club. It will give us a lot to talk about and I'll have an excuse to read again soon.
Past Due Book Reviews

4 / 16 books. 25% done!



7 comments:

  1. What a lovely review! I'm sure this book would make me cry a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you loved this book. Reading your review reminded me of how much I enjoyed reading. it. I loved Raymond and their friendship/relationship and I felt such empathy for Eleanor. But, like you, I feel like it is a story of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read about a million reviews of this, but yours is the first one that's made me want to read the book. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thank you. I really think it is a good one, so I hope you do get to it soon.

      Delete
  4. I LOVED this book. One of my top 3 so far this year for sure. And I'm sure the allusion to Eleanor Rigby was intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book and gave it a chance despite the hype, Anne. I thoroughly liked this book because of Eleanor's voice. It didn't feel derivative or contrived. Her mother creeped me out and I felt awful for Eleanor. My favorite moment of the book is Eleanor's confusion about makeup at the department store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your review made me really really want to read this book again! thanks for much for posting and lovely blog :)

    ~natasha

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.