"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, June 5, 2023

TTT: Book Covers in the Colors of Summer

 


 
Top Ten Tuesday: Book Covers in the Colors of Summer

Folks, apparently I don't read very many summer-ish, beach-read type books. So I decided to pick a color scheme that reminds me of water, because summer often involves water activities -- shades of blue, teal, blue-green, etc. Best I could do for today's topic of summerish book covers. Once again as I'm wont to do, only books I've read will be listed. If I reviewed the book, a hyperlink will be provided.

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. Set partially at a sea aquarium on the Puget Sound in Washington State.

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. If my memory serves me this book is also set in Washington State. Which makes the title ironic since we don't have fireflies, sometimes called lightning bugs, in the state.

Odder by Katherine Applegate. This is the story for middle grade readers about a little otter who lives in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary in California. Life in the ocean is great until...

The Complete Story of Aspen by Danna Smith. This YA story isn't so much about water as it about family and what makes a person a parent.

The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See. Set on an island off the coast of Korea where women have been diving for food and treasures from the sea for hundreds of years. The story includes much about the history of Korea and its people.

Wave by Diana Farid. This YA novel has an Iranian-American girl who loves to surf as its central character. This was the Cybils winner for novel-in-verse. This is my favorite cover of the batch and the least blue/teal. Ha!

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. Not just by the sea but in it.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Believe it or not, I just read this book for the first time last year (and love it.)

Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson. The story is initially set on a fictitious or unnamed Caribbean island and in it there is a lot of swimming in the ocean.

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Another California story that involves a lot of surfing.

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons. Though this book is really about aging and preparing for death, in the midst of all that, life happens, including swim lessons.


-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.