"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Sign up: GIVE IT A TRY IN JULY Challenge

 


I don't know about you, but I am sick on looking at the same books on my bookshelves, some have been in place for over ten years, sadly unread. It is time to decide: do I keep them and eventually read them or do I toss them (in the library donation box)?

This July I am going to do something about my situation. I am going to select 5-10 of those unread books on my bookshelves and give them a try.

A 'TRY' means to read 50-75 pages of each book. That should be enough to help me decide if I want to read on or not. If the answer is 'NOT' then I will find a new home for that book. If the answer is 'YES', I'd like to read more then I can set it aside or I can read on and finish it. Up to me.

I got the idea for this challenge when I was asked to read  over 70 books in six weeks as a Cybils Judge.  We were encouraged to read enough of each book to judge it appropriately, which meant reading at least 50-100 pages. Often I would read on because I was interested, but sometimes 50 pages was enough to judge the book appropriately.

Want to join me? Here's how:

1. Create an intro post including a photo or list of the books you hope to try. Include the 'Give It A Try In July' poster (above) so others will know how to sign up, too. 

2. Sign up with your intro post URL on the linky.

3. Circle back around the end of July and let us know what you decided to do with each book.

This should be a low stress challenge. If you decide five is too many books, reduce the number. If ten isn't enough, then increase it.

Why not Give it a Try in July?

 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.