"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Review and quotes: THE BRILLIANT LIFE OF EUDORA HONEYSETT


Title:
The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett by Annie Lyons

Book Beginnings quote:


Friday56 quote (from page 6, the last page of the preview):


Summary: Eudora Honeysett is 85-years-old, lives by herself, and is determined to die on her own terms. In fact she is waiting to hear back from a clinic in Switzerland which will help her die on those terms. She has seen what happens to people as they age and all the indignities that go along with it. She doesn't want her last years to be like them. Then she meets a new neighbor, Rose Trewidney, a ten-year-old twirling, rainbow of a girl who inject light, laughter, and love into her life. Suddenly Eudora is drawn into Rose's schemes for tea parties, swimming lessons, shopping sprees, trips to the beach, and pizza parties. At the same time Eudora meets another neighbor, Stanley, who also gets involved with Rose's plans and invites Eudora into his life, too. Suddenly Eudora finds herself reflecting back on moments from her childhood and aspects of her younger life. Eudora finally realized that she must make peace with her past before she moves forward with any plans.

Review: I bought a copy of this book for my mom. Mom is 92-years-old and big proponent of preparing for her own end. She is busy now cleaning out cupboards and file cabinets, spending time reflecting on her past and taking care of her plans. She doesn't want any messes left behind for her children to clean up. She also has a advanced health directive, not wanting any extraordinary measures to be used to keep her alive if she is sick. I thought Mom would enjoy meeting Eudora Honeysett, another oldster who wanted to talk about death and to make sure that her end is on her own terms. I appreciated reading a fictional book that takes a hard look at an important topic -- death. Yet in the midst of the story there was so much life!

The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett is a book club selection. One other member worried we wouldn't have much to talk about but I disagree. I think the book will provide a good catalyst for a meaningful discussion on death, a topic that friends should not shy away from having together. I'll circle back around and let you know how the discussion goes after the meeting.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.   
 

RHS book club, November/December 2021

-Anne

18 comments:

  1. This seems like the kind of book that offers a lot of food for thought. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book and I think it's lovely you bought it for your mom! I hope she did enjoy meeting Eudora and that it's a nice meeting point for the two of you as well on such a difficult topic. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Mom likes the books. I told her I didn't buy it because I want her to die soon. Ha!

      Delete
  3. There is an effort in CA to ensure that people can die with dignity and on their own terms (like Oregon, right?) so my parents and I have been talking about it a bit. It's so important to have these rights officially stated so as not to draw out the pain and misery that can come at the end. It's great that your mom is thinking about the issue and preparing; I dread going through all the "stuff" in our house when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the Death with Dignity efforts pass in California. Conservatives no longer have a leg to stand on to dispute such a plan with their anti-vax stand on COVID.

      Delete
  4. The older I get, the more I gravitate to characters and books like this one. I am adding it to my list! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it was very meaty and reminded me too much of a couple other books we've read. (Ove and One in a Million Boy) When I compare it to those two, especially the latter, it falls short on its depth. The writing was OK but nothing outstanding, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the writing isn't as strong as the book you mentioned but the topic is also about death from a different angle.

      Delete
  6. Hear, hear--living life on your own terms! I love the spirits of your Mom and of the book's protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this one on my list forever. I like the sound of it, a lot. How sweet that your mom is preparing. I once had a coworker die suddenly and there was talk about cleaning his cube out at work and then I got worried about what was in my cube. I've been working for the university for 28 years and have moved a few times so my stuff has been culled down a bit but I would be horrified is a coworker was asked to clean out my drawers. That got me thinking about all the stuff in my house that is really unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the comments about the mail being nothing but junk. I think it sounds like a great read. Would love to hear all your thoughts when you've finished/had your book discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the junk mail. I would include email in that.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fantastic read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had not heard of this one, sounds really good!
    Here is my Friday 56: https://francebooktours.com/2021/10/22/double-identity-friday-56/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting premise for a book, and I bet it does spark some conversation!

    Visiting from F56

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this opening chapter! Definitely grabs my attention, but it's a really unique philosophical thought, too. Plus funny. Love that the author's able to balance all that at once!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.