"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 11, 2021

TTT: Very vivid settings in literature


Top Ten Tuesday: 

Such vivid settings in literature I can really imagine being there. (I am only drawing my examples from books I've read.)


Hogwarts
No matter what you think of Rawlings' politics, the lady created the most vivid setting in all of literature.


Maycomb, Alabama
The fictitious town where Scout, Atticus, and Jem live in To Kill a Mockingbird.


Narnia
Where some animals talk, and fauns live. Even trees can come to the rescue if called by the big lion, Aslan. Once ruled by four children of Adam: Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy.


Arrakis
The desert planet in Dune by Frank Herbert.
 

The Old West
Texas to Montana in the late 1800s as described in Lonesome Dove by McMurtry. 
 

India
Every sight, sound, and smell comes to life in Arunhati Roy's book The Ministry of Utmost Happiness.


Stratford-upon-Avon, England
Shakespeare's home town and family life in the 1500s comes to life in the wonderful book Hamnet by O'Farrell. I am convinced that she got all the details completely correct.


Moloka'i
The island in the Hawaiian chain comes to life in a book by the same name by Brennert and so does the leprosy colony that was a big part of the island's history.


Jane Austen's England
Set in the Regency period, Austen was a master at describing everyday life for the class of people she was a part of.


The marshes of North Carolina
Every shell, blade of grass, seabird, and crab came to life in my imagination in the marsh which was the setting for Where the Crawdads Sing.


Queensland outback in Australia
The fictitious town Willstown on a cattle station in Australia's outback from the classic book, A Town Like Alice by Shute.

What vivid seetings do you remember from books?

-Anne

26 comments:

  1. I would say that the settings of His Dark Materials were also very vivid to me. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good call. Yes. I was very aware of the Oxford setting in His Dark Materials. I thought about including Middle Earth from the Lord of Rings, but I found the world so disturbing, I decided to not list it here.

      Delete
  2. Love Narnia (and that map too). Nice image by the way to start off your post- i like how whimsical it is, like a snapshot of a faerie realm maybe.

    Moloka'i looks beautiful of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Moloka'i setting is gorgeous the sotry is so disturbing about the way we treated people with leprosy. Shameful.

      Delete
  3. Great list, I will love to visit Narnia in winter, even better in Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Not when the White witch held Narnia in winter without it ever being Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Oh! Narnia! Here is mine: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/10/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-book-settings.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to settle into Narnia at the end of November and read all the books for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Jane Austen's England would be amazing to visit!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! Definitely love Narnia and Jane Austen's England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have visited England and would love to see Australia, everything I have read makes it sound beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't reead a lot of the books on this list, but you absolutely nailed it with Hogwarts, Moloka'i, and the marshes of North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This list put a smile on my face with each entry brought a smile to my face as I remembered favorite books and places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Narnia is a great setting. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/ten-more-books-about-books/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your comments about Hogwarts!

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/autumn-vibes-books-whos-cover-has-autumn-feels/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to visit Hogwarts and Narnia too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/10/12/top-ten-tuesday-337/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not too familiar with Jane Austen's books, but regency England is such a great setting, especially for romance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some great choices! Narnia was one of my absolute favourite settings as a child, I often think about revisiting those books as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous list. Hogwarts, the west, and North Carolina made my list too. Narnia is also a neat place. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel as though I wouldn't handle Austen's England well. But then again... maybe I'd enjoy it. Right now I'd just settle for seeing some of the places these films were filmed. :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland on this week's topic.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.