"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, October 8, 2021

Six Degrees of Separation -- 'The Lottery and Other Stories' to...

Six Degrees of Separation

We begin with



The Lottery and Other Stories
by Shirley Jackson
Jackson, the master of the horrifying short story, is a great author to read in October.
 

The Lottery: A Graphic Adaptation
by Miles Hyman and Shirley Jackson
I've never actually read "The Lottery" short story but I have read this graphic novel, an adaptation of the famous, classic story 



Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen, illustrated by Cliff Richards
Of course I've read Pride and Prejudice but I only read the graphic novel of its spin off, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, not the regular print version.
 
 
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
I'm not one for zombie stories but I did read this book several years ago and actually was thinking about it just yesterday. The zombies were so persistent.

 

Zombies vs. Unicorns
edited by Holly Black
It's a question as old as time. Zombies or unicorns? Lots of YA authors weigh in on their preference. I haven't thought of this book in years.

 

Lips Touch Three Times
by Laini Taylor
Another short story collection about supernatural beings that I haven't thought of for years. This book was a National Book Award finalist the year it was published.
 

The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor
Another short story collection by a master of the form. This book won the National Book Award in 1971. 



That brings us back around to The Lottery and Other Stories.
I've been enjoying books in this form this fall. Perhaps it would be a good time to pick and read this collection finally.

 

-Anne


9 comments:

  1. I've only read the last one. Anything with zombie in the title or description I avoid like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you... Yes, you never know where you'll end up or where each link will take you. That's why I love this meme so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle trying to get back tot he beginning, which isn't a requirement in the task. Ha!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I manage, sometimes I don't, it*s gun but shouldn't become a chore. LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh, I see, you read a lot more books that could be linked to the first book. Well done!

    Thanks for visiting mySix Degrees of Separation which led me to The Wave, a great book that explains a lot about human nature and why we have so many problems in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should read The Wave based on your description.

      Delete
    2. Good decision. I think everyone should read The Wave. Thanks, Anne.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.