"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Sunday Salon --- A Fall Photo Diary


The NW Trek Hoot and Howl event yesterday: A winning combo of wild animals, spooky decorations, fun games, candy, and family. We had so much fun with our grandsons. We are already planning on going back next year.

Weather: Overcast. Mild. Here Bingley is standing on a pile of leaves this morning from our purple mountain ash tree, which has dumped almost all of its leaves this week, as we predicted.

Brotherly love: Jamie was tired and needed a nap but his brother, Ian, kept him interested with his antics. I love fall photos. Don't you?

Oregon Ducks: We were back in Eugene, this time for a Friday night game. Our mascot dressed up like a combo Batman/Duck, calling himself 'Duckman.' We won the game, by the way, but it was a close call.

 
Treasures: My mother has been cleaning out cupboards and cabinets. Above are a few treasures she shared with me: A photo of my mom and her sister as children; a pen and ink drawing I did in college; a 1893 edition book titled, "The American Scholar Self-Reliance Compensation: Three Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson; another original pen and ink done by someone my dad knew; and a sheet of music written by a friend from high school days and his musical mentor, Chet Earle.

An October walk: Scarecrow tractor; rotten pears underneath tree; Anti-racism and Social Justice Small Library; coleus; 'Live Like the Mountain Is Out' is something we all understand living in the shadow of Mt Rainier; holly berries on a bush in the yard of a historic home, the Ryan House; Japanese windflowers; girl with basket; skeletons hanging out with witch.

Current reads: The Picture of Dorian Gray (80%, e-book); The Moment of Lift (75%, print); On Tyranny-Graphic Edition (5%, print); 84, Charing Cross Road (25%, print); Magpie Murders (52%, audio); The Authenticity Project (35%, audio).


Classic Club Spin # was 12: Which means I will read something by Robert Louis Stevenson. Which book should I select?

We were delighted to find Dug Days on Disney+ this week. Funny. Funny. Funny.

Gardening: We've been busy this week getting the garden ready for winter. I finished deadheading the hydrangeas, even drying three bunches. Don pulled up the tomato plants and did a bit of pruning. I have cut back most of the rose bushes but a few blooms are still hanging on.

Have a good week. Make soup. Put your garden to bed. Snuggle.

-Anne

6 comments:

  1. I'm interested in what you think of your current reads. The grandsons are adorable and look like they're having lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books: I am not a fan of The Picture of Dorian Gray; The Moment of Lift is a heavy book on the topic of making differences in the lives of women worldwide I tend to not want to read it because of how depressing it is at turns; On Tyranny is recommended and I am looking forward to really digging in; The Authenticity Project is much lighter than I anticipated; 84, Charing Cross Road is a series of letters, short and readable; Magpie Murders is a who-dunnit with a mystery within a mystery.

      Delete
    2. I've read Dorian Gray and liked it but it was a long time ago. I loved "Magpie Murders."

      Delete
    3. Don and I are listening to the Magpie Murders right now and it is very compelling. A murder mystery within a murder mystery. Wow.

      Delete
    4. I've loved or at least liked everything I've read by Anthony Horowitz.

      Delete
  2. I saw the graphic novel of On Tyranny at our local indie shop yesterday. I always figure a graphic version of a really good book is an excellent ideas as it may reach more readers. I hope that's true for this one.

    Love the photos of the boys; they must be so much fun for you!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.