"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Review and quotes: THE PLOT


Title:
The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz

Book Beginnings quote:


Friday56 quote (from page 21, the last chapter of the preview):

 


Summary: Jacob Finch Bonner was once an promising young novelist with his first published work gaining modest praise from reviewers.  After years of attempting to write a second or a third novel he is now teaching at a third-rate MFA program in Vermont and attempting to maintain a modicum of self-respect. During the required BBQ the night before the MFA seminar begins, Bonner runs into the most pompous person he has ever met and sure enough that person is part of his class. When Bonner attempts to help Eric Parker on his writing, Parker says he doesn't need help since he has a plot that won't miss and will surely break all kinds of publishing records. After Parker tells Bonner about his plot, Bonner agrees that it is a winning plot. Years later when Bonner learns that Parker died not long after leaving the MFA program, he decides to make that plot, his plot. The book indeed breaks all kinds of publishing records and the movie script is sold. Everything is going great until one day Bonner gets a message, "You've stolen the plot, and I know who it belongs to." Life takes a decidedly negative turn from there.

Hailed as breathtakingly suspenseful, Jean Hanff Korelitz's The Plot is a propulsive read about a story too good not to steal, and the writer who steals it. (Goodreads)

Review: My husband and I listened to most of The Plot during a recent car trip, getting home with about 20% left to go in the audiobook. Since we both liked the book well enough we decided to set aside some time later in the week to finish listening to it. At that point I honestly was a little underwhelmed, having heard so many great reviews about the book by you, my book blogging friends. The writing was good. The plot had taken a decidedly sinister turn and I was not quite sure which way it would go. But it didn't have the WOW factor I was expecting.

A week later, hubby and I were once again in the car together and decided to listen to a bit more of The Plot. We probably didn't have enough time to finish it but would make progress toward completion. That decision went out the window almost immediately as there was a huge plot twist which grabbed us and wouldn't let go. As we moved from the car to the house to finish listening my husband remarked he felt almost dirty, like he needed to take a shower, to get that twist off him! We finished the book in stunned silence. OMG, neither of us saw that ending coming.

Is The Plot my favorite book of 2021? No. Do I think you would enjoy it and should read it. Yes. But beware, it doesn't end as you think it will and that plot twist will likely catch you unaware, too.

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from current book.
Th
e Friday56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56 to share. 

Visit these two websites to participate. Click on links to read quotes from books other people are reading. It is a great way to make blog friends and to get suggestions for new reading material.   
  

-Anne

13 comments:

  1. I love it when a book completely surprises me in a good way. I'd say, bringing the book into the house from the car is a good sign. I'm glad you ended up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read You Should Have Known (The Undoing) by this author, so I am curious. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some good things about The Plot too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh your review has completely caught me, love how you introduced your own little twist there ;) I was planning on reading 'The Plot' at some point, but maybe I need to move that point up a little sooner. I may also see if the audiobook is on Audible! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Plot is high on my TBR list and I really can't wait to read it. Your review just made me more excited!

    Glad to see you didn't see the ending coming. I like books like that.

    Hope you have something else that's gripping to read over the weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good. I love when a book can surprise me. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it sounds good, I do believe it is on my GR list! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the plot of "The Plot" is as good at getting you to finish the book as the one the author in the book stole. (Sometimes these book within a book set ups get more than a little confusing). I will look for this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard anything about this book or author before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to reading this book--it's sitting at the top of one of my reading piles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish we'd chosen this one for Book Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think it is better than at least two of our choices.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.