"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

TTT: My Fall TBR

My Fall TBR
Upcoming book club selections:
  • Under the Wide, Starry Sky by Nancy Horan
  • An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
  • Sacrifice by S.J. Bolton
  • Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
YA books that are potential award winners
  • My Plain Jane by Cyntha Hand, et al (Finish)
  • Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
  • Rebound by Kwame Alexander
  • What I Leave Behind by Alison McGhee
  • Votes for Women: American Suffragists and the Battle for the Ballot by Winifred Conkling
  • We'll Fly Away by Bryan Bliss
  • A Thousand Beginnings and Endings by Ellen Oh, et al
  • Proud: Living My American Dream by Ibtihja Muhammad
  • The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler by Harry Abrams
  • Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
  • Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake
  • Darius the Great is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
Audiobooks:
  • Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
  • A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
  • Dear Madam President by Jennifer Palmieri
  • The Wisdom of Sundays by Oprah Winfrey
Just because I want to read them:
  • Fear by Bob Woodward (Currently reading)
  • She Loves You (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah) by Ann Hood
Think I have a few too many books on my list? Ha! I do, too!

How did I do on my Summer TBR?

Upcoming book club selections:
  • Educated: a Memoir by Tara Westover ✔
  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (a re-read) ✔
  • Under the Wide, Starry Sky by Nancy Horan
YA books that are potential award winners
  • Boots on the Ground by Elizabeth Partridge 
  • The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert ✔
  • Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman ✔
  • Picture Us In the Light by Kelley Loy Gilbert ✔
  • Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card by Sara Saedi ✔
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker by Wang ✔
  • My Plain Jane by Hand/Ashton/Meadows. Currently reading
Audiobooks 
  • When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon ✔
  • Educated: a memoir ✔ See above
  • Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood.
  • My Plain Jane by Hand/Ashton/Meadows (see above)
Just because...
  • She Loves You (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah) by Ann Hood

28 comments:

  1. LOVED Before We Were Yours! I hope you enjoy it (and all the other books on your list, of course).

    Hallie @ Book by Book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I keep hearing great things about My Plain Jane. It seems like I need to check it out. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty silly... a lot about capturing ghosts, but i love the way the team of writers insert themselves into the writing.

      Delete
  3. It looks like you crushed most of your Summer List! Nice job. I'm currently reading a "just because I wanted to" type of a book now. A re-read and it was so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of cheat when I make these lists because often I already have the books on my library list or have them checked out. If I do a good job creating the list, I will at least try to get to these books in the next three months. But my list is laughably long, I admit.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Well done on your summer list! :-) Enjoy your Autumn ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An American Marriage is a perfect book club read...so much to discuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. One of the gals in my club said it was pretty heavy.

      Delete
  6. I was just eyeing my copy of Under the Wide, Starry Sky, thinking I should read it. Tess of the Road and A Gentleman in Moscow are both on my TBR pile as well. I am not sure they are meant for me this fall though. You did great in August! I don't even want to go back and look at my list. I'm sure I failed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I've heard wonderful things about the Gentleman in Moscow.

      Delete
  7. I loved Dread Nation. I hope you enjoy it as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed up a chance to read it several months ago and then had to get back in line. Soon, I hope, it will be my turn again at the library.

      Delete
  8. I'm reading "An American Marriage" and I think it will make an excellent discussion book. I'm undecided yet whether I like it or not. I'm about half through. I may slow down on it a bit because Robert Galbraith(aka J.K.Rowling) has a new mystery out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to think of my lists as suggestions. I enjoy making them. I consult them when I don't know what I want to read. But they are not law. If, after a year, a book hasn't been read---it may be stricken from my list. That's just how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard lots of good things about about An American Marriage and Dread Nation. My book group really enjoyed Before We Were Yours - it's an astounding bit of historical fiction - stunning that that really happened.

    Looks like an awesome fall reading list! I am focusing on dark & creepy and suspenseful for the RIP Challenge - helps me plow through some of my extensive TBR collection, and a nice change of pace for me.

    Enjoy all these great books!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that your group liked Before We Were Yours. I have done zero research on it so I don't even know what it is about. I am judging the Cybils again this year, so won't participate in other challenges from now to the end of the year.

      Delete
  11. An American Marriage is a fantastic book, I hope you enjoy it! I just finished Dread Nation and really liked it. Fear is a book I'm interested in reading but it might be too depressing (sigh). Happy fall reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding I can only read FEAR in small doses. Everything about Trump makes me furious.

      Delete
  12. I'm very curious about Fear and A Thousand Beginnings and Endings is one I want to read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! I just heard about the book and think it should be good.

      Delete
  13. I didn't enjoy My Plain Jane as much as My Lady Jane but it was still fun. I also have A Gentleman in Moscow and Girl Made of Stars on my TBR after hearing such great things about them. Good luck getting through your list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you did a good job on your summer tbr - and good luck on this season!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very impressive. I love how you read ahead of potential awards. I wish I were better at that. I really enjoyed both Dread Nation and Rebound. I was just looking at Darius The Great (Is Not Okay) at a bookstore the other day. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many of the books on hold at the library. My problem is that they always seem to come in at the same time.

      Delete
  16. Great list for fall reading! And you did so well on your summer reading list. I have trouble making a list of what I am going to read because I usually pick something that suits my mood at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to make my lists based on books I already determined I would read. Ha! Like adding something to a TO-DO list that I've already done just so I get the satisfaction of crossing it off.

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed Dread Nation and A Thousand Beginnings and Endings. I hope you find more good ones from your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm working on finishing up my summer reading list for the fall. I got few left to read. Looking forward to reading your reviews for these books.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.