"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, June 18, 2018

TTT: Summer Reading list

Top Ten Tuesday: What books do I hope to read this summer?

Upcoming book club selections:
  • Educated: a Memoir by Tara Westover
  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (a re-read)
  • Under the Wide, Starry Sky by Nancy Horan
YA books that are potential award winners (with lots of starred reviews)
  • Boots on the Ground by Elizabeth Partridge...nonfiction about the soldiers in Vietnam War. (5)
  • The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (5)...everyone seems to be talking about this one.
  • Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman...I want to finish it. I had to return it to the library unfinished. (5)
  • Picture Us In the Light by Kelley Loy Gilbert (5)...I just got a notice from the library that it is ready for pickup.
  • Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card by Sara Saedi...a timely memoir about immigration issues. (4)
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker by Wang...a graphic novel that defies categories we place on people. (4)
  • My Plain Jane by Hand/Ashton/Meadows...should be very fun and funny. (3)
Audiobooks (already cued, ready for listening)
  • When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon...I've already completed 1/2 of this audiobook. It will be the first book I finish on this list.
  • Educated: a memoir (see above)
  • Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood...a retelling of The Tempest by Shakespeare.
  • My Plain Jane by Hand/Ashton/Meadows (see above)
Just because...
  • She Loves You (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah) by Ann Hood...because, um, I love the Beatles.

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved All the Light We Cannot See when I read it for my book club...And then my club got to do a video chat with the author which was really cool.

    Hope you enjoy all your summer reads and have a great week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. I am jealous. I love ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE. I heard the author in an event talk about his own creative ideas for writing and he was so interesting and engaging.

      Delete
  2. The Hazel Wood is one I'm kinda interested in, based on some nice reviews I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! The only one I've read so far is The Hazel Wood which I liked but wanted a bit more from. Here's mine: https://myendlessshelf.weebly.com/home/toptentuesday-books-to-read-by-the-poolat-the-beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I like this list! Some I do know, but others have me rubbing my hands in glee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I still need to get to quite a few of these as well :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you manage to finish Thunderhead, having to return books to the library unfinished is the worst!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/19/top-ten-tuesday-164/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is a big bummer. But the book is long and I just couldn't read it fast enough to finish on time.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read an Ann Hood book in forever. She used to be on my list of have-to-reads as soon as she came out with another book, just like Anne Tyler. I need to take a look at this one.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/06/books-to-read-by-pool-or-at-beach.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read her piece in Parade Magazine about this Beatles book and she sounds like she has had a similar love affair with the Fab Four as i've had. must read it.

      Delete
  8. Educated, Thunderhead, and When Dimple Met Rishi are the only ones I've read. The others sound terrific too! Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding When Dimple Met Rishi to be a bit cheesy for my taste. Hope it finishes well.

      Delete
  9. I bought "Educated" although I'm not sure I'll be at Book Club due to the wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got it on Audible, too, but haven't listened to it, yet. We have another long car trip in our future...this one to California so I hope to listen to it during that trip.

      Delete
  10. I love The Beatles too! I'll have to check out She Loves You. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get to read these! Enjoy! :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't list My Plain Jane, but I do want to pick that one up in the next few months. Hope you enjoy all these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Educated on my shelf as well. It seems like a good one for audio.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not read My Lady Jane, but still, I'm really excited about My Plain Jane. This series sounds like WAY too much fun. Also, I really want to read 'Dimple' and Sandhya's newest release too. :)

    Happy summer TBR-ing - and thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved When Dimple Met Rishi last summer so much that this summer I'm working on Twinkle. So fabulous. Happy reading!

    eli @ the (book) supplier
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.