"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Friday Quotes, April 17

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book Title: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, translated from German by Ralph Manheim

Book Beginnings: (from the preface)
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door
Friday 56:
Cairon's story of the terrible happenings in all parts of Fantastica had made an impression on him, but thus far the disaster was something he had only heard about. On the seventh day he was to see it with his own eyes.
Comments: I am within 25 pages of the end of the book. It has sometimes been very exciting and other times a bit tedious, but always highly imaginative about a troubled boy who discovers an extraordinary storybook-and the fantastical world within its pages.. This book came to my attention because it was listed in a book of 501-Must-Read books. I'm wondering if the tedious bits are magnified in the audio format I'm using to consume this book. If I were reading the print edition my eyes would generally skip ahead during slow parts. My daughter tells me that there is a movie made from the book.

***I'm surprised that no one has made a comment about the backwards words. I thought I was pretty clever for adding them to the post (my daughter figured out how to make them.)

18 comments:

  1. I've never read the book, but I was IN LOVE with the movies as a kidlet (queue the theme song in my head, lol). You have to watch the film; 80s epicness :)

    Hope you can check out my Book Beginnings & The Friday 56

    Cheers,
    Page @ Never Enough Shelf Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the song and can tell if is one of those songs that gets stuck in your head.

      Delete
  2. Aaaaah, I really want to read this, have been meaning to read it for like 10,000 years. I have it on my shelf, unopened, but problem is that I tried to read his book Momo first, and it was all tedium all the time, and I have been scared to start this one since. Glad to hear that there is only mild tedium, but, well...of course I wish there was none. Hmm. Anyway, nice reminder to bump it up on my to-read pile.

    My book beginning post is over here if you're interested: http://www.bookpunks.com/so-it-begins-california-by-edan-lepucki/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the tedium was because of the audiobook or if the parts of the book really dragged. I usually can listen to a story without missing any details but I would have this book on in the car and all the sudden I'd realize I wasn't paying attention and had missed a whole lot.

      Delete
  3. Aaaaah this is one of my favourite childhood books! First my dad would read it to me and then I started reading it myself! It's such an amazing story, so full of amazing creatures and images and basically now I need to go and read it again! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a lovely memory. I wish I'd known about the book when my kids were little. I think they would have liked it.

      Delete
  4. Some day I mean to get to that book.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the book, but loved the movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. You can find mine here... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love the sound of this one...and any book that is imaginative can be highly engaging. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED this one when I was a kid. Amazing story!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was both enchanted and a little frightened of the movie they made of this when I was a child. I wonder how different the book is from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious, too. There are so pretty creepy characters.

      Delete
  9. I remember my kids watching this movie over and over and over again. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow my kids missed the whole thing. Now my daughter wants to look at together but I am hesitant since it was made in the 80s and the technology is probably pretty cheesy now.

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen the movie or read the book but maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmy! Havent read the book but it was as I recall my favorite movie when I was a kid :)

    BookBeginning@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  12. If this is the same story as the movie I'd like to read it. Is there a luck or sleep dragon in it? Something like a huge dog? The movie was so fun.
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/17/the-friday-56-58-terror-never-sleeps-by-richard-blomberg/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie so I can't say how similar they are but yes there is a Luck Dragon in the story

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.