"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, April 1, 2022

April is National Poetry Month


April is National Poetry Month.

Here are my plans for how I hope to celebrate it:

1. Chalk poems on my front sidewalk. I'm currently on the hunt for a short one since I find it harder and harder these days to bend over and write with chalk on the pavement. I hope to 'spy' walkers stopping to read these chalked poems.

2. Try to complete at least five-ten of these 30 Ways to Celebrate National Poetry Month suggestions. These are ideas I'm most likely to do:
  • Find our about the Washington State's Poet Laureate
    • Her name is Rena Priest and she is a member of the Lhaq’temish (Lummi) Nation. The first Indigenous poet to be Poet Laureate of the state. I've placed a hold on one of her poetry collections at the library, Patriarchy Blues.  (ArtsWA)
  • Go to the library and check out poetry books (I've already done this!)
  • Sign up for Poem-a-Day (Done. Easy!)
  • Read "In this Place (An American Lyric)" by Amanda Gorman. It was the most often read poem in 2021. (Hey, look what I just found...)


  • Make a poetry playlist, which involves figuring our how to do it. (Here is an example.)

3. Read the poetry books currently checked out from the library:

  • 100 Poems to Break Your Heart by Edward Hirsh
  • You Don't Have to Be Everything edited by Diana Whitney

4. Write reviews for recently read poetry books:

  • Bright Wings: An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds edited by Billy Collins 
  • Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets by Kwame Alexander, Christ Colderley, and Majory Wentworth
  • Change Sings: A Children's Anthem by Amanda Gorman

5. Do a little research on the most popular poetry books of 2020 and 2021. My favorite poetry collection read in 2021 was Dearly: New Poems by Margaret Atwood

  • I found this list on LitHub of favorite poetry collections of 2021. I placed a hold on the one by Rita Dove.
  • And this list of seven best poetry collections from the NYT. I am interested in checking out Love and Other Poems by Alex Dimitrov but it is not available at my library.
  • And this list from Entropy Magazine listing favorites from both 2020 and 2021. I was proud to see that I'd actually read two of the books listed. I am located one, Obit by Chang, at my library.

6. Stop by a bookstore and browse the poetry section


 

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.