"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Sunday Salon ... my weekly update this 24th day of April


Weather today: Beautiful. We just got back from a walk with the dog where I had to shed my jacket and my husband wore shorts We passed under a few flowering street trees (see photo in collage, upper right) that were alive with bees. Their buzzing was the happiest noise I've heard in a long time.

Our Saturday: See the above photo. We took a beautiful walk with the dog and then attended our grandson's first ever soccer match. Four-year-olds vs four-year-olds -- it was pretty funny. Ian was more interested in making friends than he was in kicking the ball. 


Everyone Welcome: Our church members are working hard at being an open and welcoming church. Today we arrived to see new and very prominent signage.

Prayers for:

  • C. who lost her husband this week. He never woke up from a nap.
  • J. who is having a lumpectomy tomorrow for breast cancer.
  • B. who just learned that she needs to have heart surgery, again.
  • S. who is going to have her sixth eye surgery soon.
  • J. who is experiencing severe symptoms of an autoimmune disease.
  • B. who had eye surgery for a detached retina -- may it hold!
  • B. who is traveling to be with her family of origin after the death of a brother.

Books:

  • Completed this week:
    • The Pioneers by David McCullough. I finished this nonfiction book just hours before the book club where we were discussing it. It was informative but pretty dense. Read my review here.
    • Home Body by Rupi Kaur. A poetry book that spoke to me as a woman. Lots about hurts inflicted on women but also about how we need to love ourselves.
    • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. A Children's classic. I found the parental neglect a BIG problem. Review here.
    • The Rain in Portugal by Billy Collins. Mostly fun and funny poems by a favorite poet.
  • Currently reading:  
    • The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune. A book club selection. 91% complete. Audio. 
    • 100 Poems to Break Your Heart by Edward Hirsch. A tome at over 500 pages and it looks like I will make it. 84%. Print.
    • Good Enough by Kate Bowler. A Lenten devotional that I didn't complete by Easter but I am getting so much from it. 64% complete. Print. 
       


Fred and George: Are being very artsy this week.  They were so busy posing, they earned a collage.

-Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.