"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 20, 2021

TTT: Books on my fall reading list (and how I did on my summer reading list)

 


Top Ten Tuesday: 
Books on my fall reading list. 
(Below the fold, check out how I did on my summer reading list.)
 

Book Club Selections: 

  1. The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates (October, Group #1)
  2. We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker (October, Group #2)
  3. The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz (November, Group #1)
  4. The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeycutt by Annie Lyons (November/December, Group #2)
  5. Transcription by Kate Atkinson (December, Group #1)

Books I've recently placed on hold at the library:

  1. Souvenir Museum by Elizabeth McCracken
  2. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
  3. The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz
  4. Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau

Challenge Books:

  1. Past Pulitzer Prize winner: The Hours by Michael Cunningham (From this list)
  2. Past Pulitzer Prize winner
  3. Past Pulitzer Prize winner
  4. 2021 Printz Honor: Every Body Looking
  5. Classics club selection: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (From this list)
  6. Classics Club selection
  7. 2021 National Book Award winner any category. (TBA in November.)
  8. 2021 National Book Award winner any category.  
Preview and other books: 
  1. Preview: Sexual Justice by Alexandra Brodsky
  2. Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair
 
In June, when I created my summer reading list, I had a lot of ??? on my list.  I knew I'd be reading books but I wasn't sure of their titles. Those book titles are now identified by the color red. Titles are also hyperlinked so you can read my reviews if you care to learn more.

Book Club Selections: 6/6

  1. The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy (July, Group #1)
  2. This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger, (July, Group #2)
  3. The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris (August, Group #1)
  4. The Cold Millions by Jess Walter, August, Group #2
  5. This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel (September, Group #1, re-read)
  6. The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich, September, Group #3

Audiobooks/E-Books: 3/5

  1. The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
  2. The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich (See above list)
  3. Break Shot: My First 21 Years by James Taylor
  4. Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler
  5. The Clock Dance by Anne Tyler

Challenge Books: 14/7 (some were duplicates because they are in more than one category)

  1. Current Pulitzer Prize winner: The Night Watchman by Erdrich
  2. Past Pulitzer Prize winner: Breathing Lessons by Tyler
  3. Past Pulitzer Prize winner: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Egan I actually read two more past winners, also: One of Ours and The Interpreter of Maladies.
  4. Printz Honor: Every Body Looking
  5. Printz Honor: We Are Not Free
  6. Big Book Summer: TBA but must be at least 400 pages in length. (I read eight books longer than 400 pages this summer: One of Ours; We Are Not Free; The Night Watchman; The Four Winds; The Ministry of Utmost Happiness; This Tender Land; Project Hail Mary; and End of Watch.)
  7. Classics club selection: One of Ours by Willa Cather

Looking over my summer reading progress I think I did very well on my list. Of the books placed on the list, I read 14 unique titles. Organizing my list this way really helped direct my reading choices. For example, I am more determined than ever to finish my Pulitzer Challenge and to work away on my Classics Club challenge based on those decisions. Based on my successes this summer I plan to map out my fall list in a similar fashion. 

-Anne

30 comments:

  1. You did very well! I'm nearly finished with "Mary Jane" and don't think it would be a good choice for Book Club. It's entertaining in spots and evokes that time period, but doesn't seem discussable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Begin at the End and I don't think it would make a good discussion book.

      Delete
  2. WOW! I wish I was that organized...great job! I have read Mary Jane, its entertaining but much different than I thought it would be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got an e-version of Mary Jane from the library. It is my next book.

      Delete
  3. You did do well on the summer reading list! I think it'd be fun to revisit the Narnia series...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did well on your summer list and your fall list looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am bound and determined to finish the Pulitzer Project this year or early in 2022. I feel the same for my Classics Challenge. Why sign up if I don't actually read any of the books.

      Delete
  5. Your list is so in depth! Awesome job on your summer reading list. I loved The Plot, by the way! I hope you enjoy all of these! Here's my TTT if you're interested: https://www.howdidthatbookend.com/fall-2021-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used an Audible credit for The Lot. I will start listening to it this weekend. I hope it isn't too scary.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to see you enjoyed We Are Not Free! I feel like it's a book that is under the radar. I read it earlier this year and loved it.

    When you get the opportunity, I hope you can stop by my post: https://readbakecreate.com/autumn-2021-tbr-10-books-i-hope-to-read/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about We Are Not Free. It really opened my eyes to aspects of internment I hadn't thought about before reading this book. Sad.

      Delete
  7. I like how you organize your reads, how you plan for upcoming reads. You have a great system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels a little like adding items onto the to-do list that one has already done just so you can check them off. I know I will read the book club selections, whatever they are so they feel like freebies adding them to the list.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you really nailed your summer list! And I have The Magpie Murders at home to read, too.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read too much about the Magpie Murders. We don't often read mysterys for book club. I wonder if there will be anything to discuss.

      Delete
  9. Well done with your summer TBR! Enjoy your fall reads. The Magpie Murders sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did awesome! Great job. I also read WE ARE NOT FREE this year. Such a sad period of history.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE ARE NOT FREE did a very good job highlighting what life was like in the camps for teenagers. I'd never thought of how the camps would affect teenagers before. Sad.

      Delete
  11. I like that you've included your summer reading wrap up, looks like you've read some good books. Happy reading! https://readwithstefani.com/five-fantasy-sci-fi-books-on-my-autumn-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you read a lot of books that I've got on my TBR! I'm hoping to get a lot of these read in the near future. Hope your upcoming TBR is enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did much better with your previous seasonal TBR than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to read "The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" for awhile. I hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday post:
    https://introvertinterruptedcom.wordpress.com/2021/09/21/my-favorite-2021-emmy-outfits-as-books/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did very well on your summer reading list. Hope you do just as well with fall titles! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did so much better than me on your summer reading list, I went very off list, only two of the books I read over the summer were books I'd actually intended to read!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/09/22/top-ten-tuesday-334/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually go off list, too. I decided that if I am going to do this activity I must add books that I sincerely think I will read. Of course I also read others during the time frame, too.

      Delete
  17. You did very well on your list indeed! Such great reads you have on here. A number of them are still on my TBR, but I've only read The Tattooist of Auschwitz and The Four Winds.

    Hope you and your family are well and all is good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done! I'm fearing updating my monthly list on 1 Oct even though I seem to have read loads!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle was awesome. Happy reading.
    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did so well with your summer goals! That's inspiring. I hope you have a good time this fall too. I really enjoyed The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, it was a bit different and so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.