"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 29, 2019

TTT: Favorite quotes from books read in 2018 or 2019


Since I've done this "assignment" before for TTT herehereherehere, and here, I am modifying my list to just include some favorite quotes from books I've read (or reread) this past year and a half.

“Grace has a grand laughter in it.” 
― Marilynne Robinson, Gilead

“When men fear the loss of what they know, they will follow any tyrant who promises to restore the old order.” 
― Barbara Kingsolver, Unsheltered

“The problem with believing is you have to believe that believing will work, you have to believe in belief.” 
― Tommy Orange, There There

“You can only do so much pretending before you become the thing you're pretending to be.” 
― Hank Green, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

“Why would a book in which hardly anything happened for most of the time eat at me so much? It was the weirdest thing.” 
― Cynthia Kadohata, The Thing About Luck

“His dad had told him many times that the definition of a real man is one who cries without shame, reads poetry with his heart, feels opera in his soul, and does what’s necessary to defend a woman.” 
― Delia Owens, Where the Crawdads Sing

“If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.” 
― Michelle Obama, Becoming

“Each of us is more than the worst thing we’ve ever done.” 
― Bryan Stevenson, Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption

“We are all of us more complicated than the roles we are assigned in the stories other people tell.” 
― Tara Westover, Educated

“Sometimes you simply needed someone kind to sit with you while you dealt with things.” 
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

“In principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

“Because if you're tangled up in someone else, if your futures are tied that way, if that's real and if you know when it happens - then it means you know who you belong to, and you know whose fates are tied to yours, whether you like it or planned it or not, whether they still exist in the same world with you or they don't, and I think that's where everything begins and ends. I think that's everything.” 
― Kelly Loy Gilbert, Picture Us in the Light

“My love isn't divided," she said. "It is multiplied.” 
― Kelly Barnhill, The Girl Who Drank the Moon

“These are hard times. The world hurts. We live in fear and forget to walk with hope. But hope has not forgotten you. So ask it to dinner. It's probably hungry and would appreciate the invitation.” 
― Libba Bray, Going Bovine

“She smelled of home...as if home had never been a place, but had always been this little person whom she'd carried alongside her.” 
― Celeste Ng, Little Fires Everywhere

“You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. There is nothing free except the Grace of God. You cannot earn that or deserve it.” 
― Charles Portis, True Grit

“His brain sits before its cash register again, charging him for old shames as if he has not paid before” 
― Andrew Sean Greer, Less


36 comments:

  1. These are wonderful quotes. I love the wisdom found in these words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you think of the Unsheltered quote? Sound like Trump, or what?

      Delete
  2. Lovely list of quotes, thanks for sharing!
    https://bookishtreats.wordpress.com/2019/04/30/top-ten-tuesday-inspirational-bookish-quotes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant list! :-) I thought Eleanor Oliphant was very quoteable. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I might have to look some of these books up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these are legitimately amazing quotes- love 'em. Especially the Hank Green and Gail Honeyman ones. And True Grit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the quote about home from Little Fires Everywhere. I should read it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect, I liked Little Fires Everywhere because Ng really examines motherhood from all angles.

      Delete
  7. Gotta love Michelle Obama

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle Obama's quote is so good -- I still have to read her memoir too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quote from There There! Overall I really love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Picture Us in the Light!! I LOVE that book - great quote choice.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle Obama's quote is so very true.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the sorts of quotes that keep us going through the rough parts. “We are all of us more complicated than the roles we are assigned in the stories other people tell.” I really like this one. I mustn't forget to look for Educated. I wish people would slow down and talk to others and have more conversations....we wouldn't be so quick to judge others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the quote from LESS even better. How we sit in front of the cash register of shame paying for things we have already paid for over and over.

      Delete
  13. I loved Michelle Obama's book so much, she's such an inspiring woman!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/30/top-ten-tuesday-209/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quote from True Grit! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that Becoming quote. I feel like that memoir was filled with goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have selected about 100 quotes from Becoming.

      Delete
  16. I really like that The Girl Who Drank the Moon quote. Makes me want to pick up the book more. Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great quotes! The only one of these I've read is True Grit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all these quotes, but especially the ones from Tommy Orange and Delia Owens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all wonderful. I love the Eleanor Oliphant quotes, and we share the Just Mercy quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that we had the same quote from Just Mercy. I am lobbying my book group to read that book. Don't know if they will bite, though. Some gals in the group don't like to read nonfiction.

      Delete
  20. Educated had so many great quotes. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are great quotes but I haven't read too many of the books, I'll have to add some more on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic! Your reading is so diverse. You make me want to read all of those books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really do read all over the place. I guess you could say I'm an omnivore of books.

      Delete
  23. Oooh, I've been meaning to read An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, and the quote made me even more interested in it! Jessica @ The Book Bratz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. It really had a message about fame, too.

      Delete
  24. I'm excited to see one for Educated on here! I am reading that book soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be prepared. It is an excellent book about a tough topic.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.