"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, November 16, 2015

TTT: Favorite quotes from books read this year


Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Quotes from Books I Read This Year...

“So how, children, does the brain, which lives without a spark of light, build for us a world full of light?” 
― Anthony DoerrAll the Light We Cannot See

“His voice is low and soft, a piece of silk you might keep in a drawer and pull out only on rare occasions, just to feel it between your fingers.” 
― Anthony DoerrAll the Light We Cannot See


“In the end, people don't view their life as merely the average of all its moments—which, after all, is mostly nothing much plus some sleep. For human beings, life is meaningful because it is a story. A story has a sense of a whole, and its arc is determined by the significant moments, the ones where something happens. Measurements of people's minute-by-minute levels of pleasure and pain miss this fundamental aspect of human existence. A seemingly happy life maybe empty. A seemingly difficult life may be devoted to a great cause. We have purposes larger than ourselves.” 
― Atul GawandeBeing Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End


“You may not control life's circumstances, but getting to be the author of your life means getting to control what you do with them.” 
― Atul GawandeBeing Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End


“If I were giving a young man advice as to how he might succeed in life, I would say to him, pick out a good father and mother, and begin life in Ohio." (WILBUR WRIGHT)
― David McCulloughThe Wright Brothers
“Autumn was her happiest season.”
― Harper LeeGo Set a Watchman
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
― Harper LeeTo Kill a Mockingbird
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
― Harper LeeTo Kill a Mockingbird
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
― Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Little Prince
“It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.”
― Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Little Prince
“Everybody that went away suffered a broken heart. "I'm coming back some day," they all wrote. But never did. The old life was too small to fit anymore.”
― Annie ProulxThe Shipping News
“Childhood is the one story that stands by itself in every soul.”
― Ivan DoigThe Whistling Season

5 comments:

  1. Amazing quotes from amazing books! <3

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG
    Recent post: Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of these are favorites with me, too. I adore Little Prince and Mockingbird, and I was happy to find Being Mortal this year.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/11/book-quotes-i-love-from-last-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful choices, Anne. I really want to read Gawande's book. I am getting behind in my Quote Journal & need to catch up!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these and have borrowed a couple to post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to do better about remembering quotes from books. At one time I used to put little post-it notes in on those pages to remember, but I don't really do that too much anymore. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.