"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Six degrees of separation: All the Light We Cannot See

Six Degrees of Separation with Anthony Doerr's book All the Light We Cannot See

We begin here.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
is set in France during WWII. It has a sophisticated plot and very smart characters who are forced to make tough choices.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
also set in France during WWII. Sarah is haunted by a decision she makes. She contemplates suicide because she is so distraught

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
a young French girl and the apartment concierge, an older woman, become unlikely friends. Before the friendship forms the girl considers suicide because she feels all alone in the world. Translated into English from French.

 
Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson
Another unlikely friendship between two women, Veronika, 32, and Astrid, 81, in a Swedish village after Veronika moves home from New Zealand. Translated into English from Swedish.

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
Two women separated by time and space. Nao is an extremely lonely Japanese girl who writes a journal. Ruth, living in Canada, finds the journal in tsunami debris. The writing and reading of the journal is healing for both women. This exquisitely written book was shortlisted for the prestigious Booker Prize.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Another impeccably written book, the Goldfinch won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for literature.

That brings us back to the beginning...

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The 2014 Pulitzer Prize recipient for literature.

In addition to these six degrees of separation, I read all of these books for one my book clubs at some point in the past. Give it a try. It is fun.

Sign up to participate at AnnabelSmith



5 comments:

  1. Great chain! I was cleaning out my TBR stack yesterday and came across Sarah's Key (goodness knows how long I've had it...) but your mention of it is probably a sign I should move it up the pile!

    I loved Hedgehog and the Goldfinch.

    Here's my chain: https://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.wordpress.com/2015/11/14/six-degrees-of-separation-from-all-the-light-we-cannot-see-to-canada/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah's Key is a very distressing book because we learn about the way French citizens and police participated in rounding up Jews and imprisoning them.

      Delete
  2. Some of my favorite books are on here!! (as you know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the film Sarah's Key - what a tragic story.I adored The Goldfinch!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.