"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, November 20, 2015

I did it AGAIN!

I've done it again.

I have ordered too many audiobooks from the library and they have all arrived at the same time in either the CD format or the e-audiobook format, which I have to download in Overdrive. Egads! Why do I keep doing the same thing over and over again? I never seem to learn.  Here is the list. Which should I listen to first and which should I ditch for now?

  • The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks---a book club selection for December so this is a top priority but I also have the print edition so I could read it and listen to something else. (CD)
  • Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen---YA. I am still frantically trying to consume potential Printz contenders. This book has been getting a bit of love from that quarter this year so I do want to give it a try. (CD)
  • Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson---I had hoped to listen to this with the family en route to Thanksgiving in Oregon but it may come due before we are home from our trip. (E-Audiobook)
  • Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell---This would be an option in lieu of the Erik Larson audiobook. Plus Vowell is funnier than Larson. (CD)
  • The Shepherd's Crown: A Tiffany Aching Adventure by Sir Terry Pratchett---YA. Of all the books on the list, this is the one I want to listen to the most. This is Terry Pratchett's last book, published posthumously.
Any thoughts you have which can help me prioritize these books for listening would be greatly appreciated.

11/21/15- OMG! I got a notice from the library that another audiobook is available for download. I have been waiting for this book for three months. This one just went to the top of the list:

  • The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah...when it rains, it pours.  Six, count 'em, six audiobooks all due back within a three week window of time.


6 comments:

  1. Anne, I think most booklovers have the same problem you do. We keep adding so many new books and somehow, several of them arrive at the same time.
    I hope you'll find the time to listen to all of these, and that you'll enjoy them!
    Have a fantastic weekend.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's tricky because audio books could take longer, if you're a fast reader. Since you have the print copy of The People of the Book, I would push that one to last. I'm waiting for Dead Wake also, since I love Erik Larson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it usually takes me two weeks of listening to complete one books, of course depending on how long it is. Since we are driving to Eugene in pre-Thanksgiving traffic we might have enough time in the car to finish a whole book. We will listen to The People of the Book since we started it tonight. In the meantime I will start The Nightingale on my commute to work next week and finish it when we get back from Oregon. Those two books are most important since they are both book club selections. I will return Dead Wake and then get back in line to listen to it in the future.

      Delete
  3. Not IF, of course you are a fast reader. Duh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll like the Vowell on audio -- I wish I'd done it in that format. I've been trying to manage my library hold list better, but I still end up with a ton out at the same time. Book worm problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've got audiobook overload. I just figured out how to get library audios via Overdrive and I'm enjoying them immensely. I'm trying to do one at a time, but sometime I reserve too many too

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.