"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday Salon, Nov. 29th


Weather: Cold. We have an unusual cold snap here in the Pacific NW with the nighttime temperatures in the 20 degrees (-4C). Br.r.r.r

Thanksgiving: Carly, Don, Muffy (the dog), and I drove down to Eugene on Wednesday evening, leaving here around 6 PM. We got in to my folks house around 11:30 PM. The next day we gathered at my sister's house for a huge traditional Thanksgiving meal and delightful fellowship. My favorite dish is the cheesy/spicy green beans my sister makes every year, and, of course, having a choice of several different types of pie.

Civil War Game: Friday Don and I joined our son-in-law, my mom, sister, cousin, and his wife for the Civil War Football game, University of Oregon v Oregon State. The temperatures were low but since it was dry we were able to layer on enough clothes to handle to cold. UO won, but barely. OSU did a great job and made it an exciting game. We walked back to mom's house in the waning afternoon light, happy, tired, and cold.

Saturday: we left Eugene around 6 AM and raced up north in hopes of getting home in time for Carly to make it to her volunteering position on time. We made great time. Apparently folks returning from a holiday away don't drive that early in the morning!

Audiobooks: Last week I reported the astonishing and laughable number of audiobooks I currently have checked out, six. This week I got started on two of them, both are book club selections:
  • The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah---another WWII story, this one set in France, it is the story of sisters. I suspect one (both) will become involved in resistance efforts but I am not sure. I love the way the voice actress handles the French accent and pronunciation of words. Progress: 20%
  • The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks---Jewish, Christian, and Muslim traditions all come from the same place: Father Abraham. This story is about a Jewish prayer book and it's possible history, which is wrapped up in all three traditions. We listened to this book on our way to Oregon and back. Now three people will have to share the CD set to finish it separately. Progress 60%.
Today is the first day of advent: let us prepare our hearts for the true meaning of Christmas!

Thanksgiving funny from SNL (Thanks Adele!)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the video! So funny!! And it was great to be with you all in Eugene :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, VERY cold. I'll be wearing my sweaters this winter! Glad you are making progress on the books. I enjoyed People of the book, although it wasn't my favorite by Brooks. See you in a few weeks!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cold!! PNW is so beautiful during this time of year though. aND I hope you are liking The Nightingale so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been around that temp here in MN too. A little snow and frost. Not too bad for is. I've heard great things about the Brooks book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, missed the Adele video and we've been watching quite a few lately. Thanks! Off to watch now.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.