"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Salon: August 21, 2011

I'm watching: Project Runway.  I can't help it.  I think I'm addicted to this reality show about fashion designers. I watch it every week with my daughters.

I'm thinking about: Joining Weight Watchers.  It is time

I'm listening to: The audiobook Boom! by Mark Haddon the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.  It was recommended to me by Sue Jackson, another blogger, and so far my family and I are really enjoying it.

I'm reading: Maine by Courtney Sullivan.  It is the book club selection of the month.  It is OK but I'm not sure we'll have a lot to talk about about during the club meeting.

Lists I am making: I am still working through a list of books which may make up my list of Mock Printz books for the workshop I hold in January before the actual Printz award winners are announced. I hope to read the books "Queen of Water" and "Blink and Caution" as other possible books for this list before I head back to school in September.

Today's Scripture in church: Acts 3:6-10. God's love is WONDROUS. My sister was the guest preacher and she did a great job.

I'm praying for: My nephew Jeffrey who continues to have troubles with the law.

Around the house: I'm getting cold feet about actually installing hard wood floors on the main level of the house.

From the kitchen: We've been grilling meat this week.  I made chicken kabobs on Wednesday and Don grilled a flank steak yesterday. I love cooking on the BBQ.

Funny event: My siblings and our families helped our parents celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary by singing a rendition of the song "1951" by Bob Bennett. We rewrote the words to match our parents young life together several years ago and now some of those words don't work anymore.  We all had a good laugh together.


Musical event: We had a musical week seeing the musical Les Miserables in Seattle last Sunday night and then today we went to a 17th Century musical program with my cousin's daughter, Erin, as one of the performers. Exquisite!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to your parents! Mine are at 57. I'm not sure if we'll be able discuss the book or whether it'll be more about the philosophy/family stuff in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Project Runway. The contestants are so creative and talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely let me know if Mark Haddon's new book is good for high schoolers. They love his first book and it would be great to have a second one to give them.

    Oh, I just noticed that the book you're holding in your "profile" photo is a Barbara Kingsolver. Is it Animal Dreams? That is one of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually just watched Thursday's episode of Project Runway before getting down to blog business. :)

    And do let us know how Haddon's book turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Project Runway too! It's way addictive.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.